This is not my machine, I was just called to help identify the leaker. With machine running and in gear a leak will start at what appears to be the mating surface of the left upper side of the transmission to torque converter housing. It is not the line going in the top of the housing. More on the drivers side of the mating surface. VIN : 8TK02402, Engine VIN : 31164TF17681 Trans VIN : 5FXO2916 Ron TIA
Any chance of a photo to show the area of the leak..?
Its tucked in behind the hood area pretty good but maybe. I will ask him to try and get something to me. BTW... Hello Nigel !
Best I can do for now. Its in an area with limited visibility due to the bodywork/hood.
Hi Ron, how's the D6 going..? What about the O-Rings that seal the three passages in the red circle.? To me looks pretty adjacent to where the leak is, at least height-wise. As soon as oil gets out of the joint gravity will take over and it will run down from there. Just to orientate you, the RH side of the illustration is the flange where the transmission mounts, the flange on the LH side is where the converter couples to the engine. The 6F-6673 O-Rings are #13 in the 2nd illustration.
I did a little more research, called a retired CAT technician who stated " a 950 F... common problem with the O-rings getting hard and cracking between the trans and the converter. " So, it looks like Nige hit it on the head again. He said two ways to get to it, the one I think we will choose is removing rear bodywork, removing engine, removing converter and pumps and leaving the trans in. PS Nigel, I sold the property 4+ years ago, I sold the D-6 to the new property owner a year ago. Last Christmas break my son and I did a complete CAT undercarriage, resealed both track adjusters, Air arced all the trunions off and replaced them all, then it go a paint job. 12days straight 10-12 hours per day. I will send you a link to your e-mail that will show what happened to my truck and my entire life of collecting tools, equipment, parts, machinery etc.
Hi - did you ever fix this? What was the second option that your mechanic told you about? Anything else do you think we should change when doing this operation? We seem to have exactly the same issue in the same area. for completeness: 950F Series II, S/N 8TK01037. Many thanks, Liviu