Hello All! Went to go start my old 950 Traxcavator and I could not push the pedal down, locked up tight like it was hitting something. Took the cover off the governor linkage cover and the I can get the linkage to move freely, put the cover back on and it’ll cycle once then lock up. I think the linkage arm that goes over the limiter plunger is moving above the plunger pin and hanging up on it. What would cause this! Thanks in advance!
Been too many years since I was around an old Cat but seems many had a plunger like that that limited the travel of the linkage until engine built up so much oil pressure to move that pin out of the way. Most of those old machines had a spring device in the throttle linkage to prevent you from damaging the pin while it was blocking the movement of the governor. Have you had the engine running and showing good oil pressure?
Thank you! That makes sense, I had it running but oil pressure has been low…that might be the issue. I wonder if the oil pump is failing it’s been less than 400hrs since oil change and pressure has been declining slowly.
Leak on the oil pump suction tube maybe?
Less then 400 on the oil? Shouldn't be changed at 200 ish. Not that that is the problem
Yes meant to say less than 200 I think only 98 hrs since full zero out service on all fluids and filters. I’ll start with a gauge at the sending unit to check pressure then oil and filter and see if anything is in the filter.