Hi, I new to this forum. We have an old 950a that shakes violently when we turn it. If the brakes are pressed hard it smooths out. Any ideas where should I start looking? Thanks.
Worn center pins and bushings, Deck loose on the rear frame half. Seized damper spring and worn ends in the follow up linkage. Binding inside the steering box. The list goes on but they are the big ones. Later Bob
Thank you very much Bob.
That about sums it up, could add a loose nut holding the steering wheel but would not want to insult anyone :cool2
That about sums it up, could add a loose nut holding the steering wheel but would not want to insult anyone :cool2 Actually been many years since I worked on one of the Cats with this type of steering, but I seem to recall a splined shaft in the steering column that caused some problems if it was lacking lubrication. I'm picturing a 3/8 pipe plug down near the floor on the column you could put oil in. Like I said it's been way too many years, and most were 966B-C and the original 988's
Thanks KS!
This is a picture of the steering box on a 966C that I'm somewhat familiar with fromyears back. I circled the part of the column I was talking about, you can see the pipe plug up near the top. The follow up linkage mentioned by Bob is that large linkage below the steering gear. The smaller rod connected to the lever that rides in the groove in the collar is connected to the steering control valve. If that collar is sticking it can cause erratic steering. Seems we had a few that were helped by putting some oil in that plug seen in the top of the picture. Also recall having to remove the column and clean splines up. Seems like there were three or four bolts at the steering box and then the upper clamp up near the steering wheel and maybe shift lever depending on the style of shifter the model had.
The diagram was very helpful. Thanks. I put a new upper center pin and bushings an as they (the bushings) were completely gone. It's solid and doesn't shake anymore but now we can't get it to turn easy either way and it wants to drift one way or the other. The valve is working good. Today I am reworking the steering link because it was a bit sloppy. I read on another older post on here that dirtmandan posted that he had a similar problem from pulling the machine when it wasn't running. We did the same thing last year. I sure thank you guys for the advice:notworthy
Check the steering pump condition. Make sure the light link to the steering valve is tight at the ends and adjusted to move the spool equal distances from center. This will make steering effort equal in both directions. Then steer side to side checking for banging on the stops. If it hits both stops move the anchor bolt end farther from the hitch center to reduce travel angle. If it hits only one stop adjust the length of the follow up linkage longer or shorter. to reduce steer angle. Later Bob
Thanks Bob...will do.
Yes that is a no no with this type steering. If machine pivots right or left and someone is not good about keeping the steering wheel moving the right direction it can bend the arm the follow up linkage is connected to, the arm is at the bottom of the picture I posted. May not be an "approved repair" but I know we "fixed" one bent arm by turning the non-running machine a little at a time with another loader. Once we got it close we were able to use the adjuster to fine tune it.
Sounds like you have experience with the "nut holding the steering wheel":bash Turns out most of problem was a sticky steering shaft. Took out the plug you mentioned and filled up the column with PB fluid and waited a bit. Freed it right up. Did the other suggestions too. Thanks guys. The "nut holding the steering wheel" has a firmer grasp on things now