Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Komatsu wa250 transmission issue

contractchaser ยท 2014-08-06 15:55

Ok guys, I have one for you to ponder.... my 2001 WA 250 is using tranny oil. It's averaging a gallon to a gallon and a half a month. Here's the issue, we can't seem to figure out where it's going. There are a few small leaks, but nothing that would constitute the amount used per month. Any ideas?

Replies4
  1. #1HATCHEQUIP2014-08-06 17:28

    If you run it much at all a few small leaks could add up to that much, fix the leaks and see what happens

  2. #2lantraxco2014-08-06 17:53

    Not sure what version of WA250 a 2001 would be, but have you checked all the obvious places for high oil level? Both axles, hydraulic tank, engine, etc.? I'm not that familiar with the Komatsu loaders, but some of the CAT and Deere machines I used to work on would make oil in the axles or outboard planets on the CAT 980's.

  3. #3John C.2014-08-06 20:43

    I'm with HATCHEQUIP as I've seen plenty of seepers end up be a lot of oil over a month. About the only other place I can think that it can go and not be seen on the ground is the engine. I think brakes are hydraulic oil on these machines.

  4. #4DJK2014-08-06 21:16

    -3 has brake oil res. -5 uses hyd / hst oil. That trans only holds what 2 gal if even? I've seen output seals do what your describing because when the shaft spins and oils swashing around it just spits the oil out. And it won't leak just sitting iirc due to shafts being above oil level.