Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

950m trans fault

Masoncrain92 · 2022-11-10 08:38

Have a 950m cat wheel loader that was showing a trans filter restriction code. Changed fluid and filter and now does have 2-3 gear unless shifted manually. Now it’s showing e2203 and e2202 trans fault. Any ideas?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2022-11-10 08:44

    Please post a S/N. Too many models to take a WAG which one you have. E2202 & E2203 are for transmission clutch slip in 2nd & 3rd speed respectively. Did the problem happen straight after you changed the oil & filter.? What oil did you put in it BTW and did you use an OEM Cat filter.?

  2. #2Masoncrain922022-11-10 10:44

    Cat0950mpemb00509 Before the filter and oil change it would completely slip every gear when I’m forward. I only did it twice but I’d go to take off and once it came under load it’d stop pulling completely like I had put it in neutral. After the change it was fine for an hour and now 2-3 forward while in automatic isn’t working. I put to-4 30w fluid in it and a cat filter

  3. #3Nige2022-11-10 12:13

    When you changed the oil did you pull the suction screen (3), and inspect the screen and the magents (4).? If not that should really be your first step even if it means draining some of the oil again to get the level below the screen. If you have clutches starting to fail the evidence will be right there in that screen. Transmission slip is determined by comparing the signal from the torque converter output speed (TCOS) sensor with that of the transmission output speed (TOS) sensors. It might be an idea to remove the sensors, clean the nose end of each, and reinstall. There are two transmission output speed sensors (#1 & #2) BTW. It is very difficult to identify from the parts illustration which sensor is which. There are 4 in total, Ref #3, marked on Page 1 of the attachment. The wires feeding the TCOS will be numbered/coloured E900-WH/E901-GN, TOS #1 the wires are E906-OR/E907-GY, and TOS #2 they are E904-BR/E905-BU.

  4. #4Masoncrain922022-11-10 15:47

    Found thin metal flacks on magnetic screener with 1 piece that was about 1/8 inch chunk of metal. I’m assuming that is not a good sign

  5. #5Nige2022-11-10 16:49

    I would say it’s not a good sign. Can you post photos of the particles.?

  6. #6Nige2022-11-11 05:46

    Thinking more about it with warnings for clutch slip I was expecting some sort of significant quantity of burned friction material and not necessarily metal. I wonder if a metal particle has got ldoged on the nose of a sensor somewhere.? I would suggest remove, inspect, and clean the speed sensors next. Post photos of anything interesting that you find.