Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Volvo l70c tranny issue

Dolezal180 · 2022-11-08 19:40

I have a 1996 Volvo l70c that will **** from 1st to 2nd but won’t shift into 3rd, any ideas? Oil level is good , shows on the screen the switch is in 3rd position but tranny will not go to 3rd.

Replies12
  1. #1Mike L2022-11-08 20:00

    C series was a bit before my days at Volvo but I’m assuming there is a coil and cartridge for each gear. Try swapping a couple of them and see if the problem changes. Do you have 4th gear?

  2. #2Dolezal1802022-11-08 20:27

    It has 4thA , does the same when you switch to that’s as when you switch to 3rd

  3. #3funwithfuel2022-11-08 21:06

    Check the downshift button on the lever carrier. It may be stuck or shorted holding you in second until you throttle shift out into 3rd. You'll never hit 4th.

  4. #4Dolezal1802022-11-08 21:13

    When you hit the button the downshift button it will shift you from 2nd to first so that seems to be working right

  5. #5funwithfuel2022-11-08 21:14

    And your APS switch is in auto?

  6. #6Dolezal1802022-11-08 21:17

    I believe so, I’ll try it again tomorrow

  7. #7funwithfuel2022-11-08 21:19

    And you checked the trans oil in the lower box? Not just the upper dipstick?

  8. #8neri2023-02-13 03:27

    Any solution to this? My L70c get stuck inbetween gears when shifting from 2nd to 3rd sometimes at startup or cold temps. I've been able to solve it every time by putting the knob to manual, running on second gear forward and then manually shifting to 4th, letting the clutches engage and driving 5-10 seconds on 4th, then downshift manually to 3rd. When 3rd has engaged i switch back the know to my desired auto-setting and it works fine. I'm guessing my issue in the valvebody/actutators? My first action is oilchange and new strainer for the gearbox pump suction head.

  9. #9funwithfuel2023-02-13 11:04

    Welcome to HEF Neri. Lets start at the beginning. Have you checked both cavities. There is the lower gearbox which may or may not have a stubby dipstick tube. If not, there is a pipe plug in the case, on the backside about even or a little above the output shaft level. Then there is the upper. Dipstick may be in the engine compartment or by the windscreen washer solvent bottle. Make sure both are full. Upper gets DEXRON lower gets SAE 30. I'm attaching some basic troubleshooting steps. It's out of a D book but i think it pertains to C as well.

  10. #10funwithfuel2023-02-13 11:06

    Some more

  11. #11funwithfuel2023-02-13 11:11

    A little more

  12. #12neri2023-02-24 04:53

    Firstly thanks!!! Took me a while to get back here and answer, been a lot of work. Secondly, no I did not now that it's two cavities. This i need to check! I was under the impression that it was only one oil level to consider on the gearbox of the L70c. Thirdly, the pictures you sent me seems to be from the L70A model? B/C have a lot in common but the loader in the pictures you shared are the old loader. I think that a lot of the general information still applies to the C version.