Hello all. Working on a 951B 86J 1815. Neighbors asked me to look at his machine, complaining of sluggish transmission operation. ( Slow shifts, and would quit working all together after a while ) I checked the trans oil level, it was not showing on the dipstick. I checked the bevel gear level, it was way overfilled. Drained both trans and bevel gear, all the fluids where water contaminated. My plan is to change filters, clean screens, and refill to proper levels, then run hard for a hour and change fluid again. Repeat untill oil is clean. My question is is there a solvent I can use to "flush" the system before I do the first oil fill? Sense it's 28 gals a time that's a lot of oil to buy and dispose of. Thanks for reading! Happy New Year?
So the transmission oil was also water-contaminated.? Do you think it is from lack of maintenance causing accumulated condensation or is water getting in somewhere.? If the latter it may be advisable to fix the water ingress issue before going further. Personally I wouldn't consider using a solvent to clean out a system unless it was being disassembled at the same time. I'd just use some fairly cheap oill, doesn't even have to be the correct viscosity (could be SAE 10W for instance) if you're not going to work the machine hard while it's in there. When you drain the oil cut the filter open and pull the screens to have a look what you have in the way of particles. That might determine whether you go with an attempt at flushing or decide that pulling the transmission is the way to go.
Yes sir, both where water contaminated. Thanks for the reply Maintenance on this machine appears to be non existent. I moved into my current place about three years ago, the machine has sat in the same place sense I've lived here.He just recently used it. It probably gets maybe 10 hours a year of use if that. I've asked the neighbor the history of this machine and the answers I've gotten don't make any sense. I have a feeling this was flooded at some point. I went ahead and filled everything up with cheap oil. The dipsticks show no signs of water now, and it operates correctly I am surprised by this, thought it would take a few oil changes, am going to run it as is and watch the levels.
It might pay you to inspect the condition of whatever breathers the respective compartments might have. I think based on what you say about maintenance basically being zero I’d replace all of them with new. Giving it a good thrashing to get the temperature well up in all the compartments would also be a good idea.
Thank you Sir, will do.
I don't know if the owner has a Parts Manual but 8S-5820 fits both the transmission breather and the rear bevel case, so you need two of the same number.
Nige, sorry for the late reply. That was a good idea, I went ahead and changed those out. Thanks again!
Fingers crossed for you. How is the machine going.? Good still.?
I actually bought a parts book, and manuals.
Hope you didn't get rooted for them price-wise. Some eBay sellers are pricing used manuals higher than the cost of brand-new ones from Cat ...........
Well after I got the oil and filters and breathers changed I spent a couple hours ripping up my pasture. Found that the steering clutch cover is leaking between the cover and case. I suppose this could be the source of the water. Unfortunately I'm not equipped to fix it. I'm pretty sure I'd have to remove ROPs, fuel tank, seat etc. And I don't have access to any lifting facilities such as an overhead crane to do the job. He did ask me to get all the gauges working though, working on that now. I'm having a hard time working on this old girl, everywhere I look there's problems, broken bolts in roller frames, leaky hyd cylinders etc . The mechanic in me wants to fix her up like brand new. But have to remember that one, It's not my machine, and two it's not used more than a couple hours a year.
The maintenance and operation manuals where $144 ( photo copies ) The parts book was $36
Correction, $114 for the manuals
So long as they are complete for that price you got a good deal.
Kinda what I figured. Btw, here's what I get out of the deal. Owners has a beautiful little bass pond that I get to fish
Hello all, I found another leak on this old girl, was hoping someone could refresh my memory. I believe the fuel transfer pump seals are leaking. The leak is coming from the line that comes out of the accessory drive.See the attached picture. Do I remember correctly? Thanks!
I believe you are correct if that hose just drops down to near the pan gasket area along with another small plastic line. Attached should be the pump breakdown: I believe if you look at the parts breakdown item #4 has the two seals #6 in it, one seals oil from the pump drive and the other seals the fuel from the fuel pump and there are a pair of #7 oring that do the same thing and there is a drain hole between them that lines up with the port in the pump drive that that line in your picture is connected to. There is no gasket between the cover and body of that little gear pump. As I recall we used a thin coat of Permatex No.3 aviation sealer between the two parts. I would NOT suggest any kind of silicone sealers. Just found the spec's on that pump and you can see the two seals I was referring to and the holes in item #4 for the vent hose that is dripping:
Thanks kshansen! Yes, that line terminates behind the alternator, right at the oil pan. Thanks for refreshing my memory! It's been 20+ years sense I've wrenched for a living. Got to say, I'm enjoying working on this old girl! Thanks again Sir.
Oh and yes, no sillycon