Hello all. Actually have the machine working! (951C 86J3065) Now to keep it that way I'd like to find a set of covers for the recoil springs. I have one of the rear covers, but missing everything else. Be nice to limit rocks and all manner of skull duggery from breaking those springs again... I've not found any so far. Searching the threads I only found discussion of folks that have them or are missing them... Checked several of the breaker yards, but no luck. Machinery trader, etc, those all all gone on parted machines. I believe that the D4D is the same undercarriage, are there other options? Welcome any suggestions. Could also use a right side engine cover... Thanks to all who reply!
I understand a company called Diamond Attachments in OK makes track frame cover guards. I don't know if freight cost would make them uneconomic for you. Not sure if they make them for the 951C / D4D, you need a part number to search their product range. Give them a call, they may manufacture them to order, if they have a sample or measurements. CATERPILLAR Archives - Diamond Attachments diamondattachments.com
Here's the parts illustration in case you don't already have it. The rear guard 3K3420 (Ref #2) is also used on D4D & D4E tractors. The centre guards 3K0563/3K0564 (Ref #6/8) are only used on 951B & C track loaders. The centre guards 4K0151/4K0152 (Ref #11). Used on 951B/C plus 955H, K, & L. The front guards 6K9921/6K9922 (Ref #14). Again unique to 951B & C.
D4D are no good to you, a Sheet metal Firm should be able to sort this detail for you, I have made a few sets for the 951B/C over the years it takes me around 2 1/2 days to make a set, part number 11 I bought every one that was in the U.K, the back sprocket covers are not hard to find but all the other sections are worth making new.
Thank you for the responses. Ox - I will check out Diamond. Nige - great info on the cross index. TC - had thought about making or having made. I can match the (6/8) as I have one. the rest I'd have to come up with something. I think this is all 3/16" plate? Did you have it rolled or just fashion something with bends or angles?
I've been working on a multi-year rebuild of a D4D. The track frame guards were all toast. I had a local shop bend up some 1/4" plate--the original guards were 'way too thin to withstand the occasional brush with a end of a log or a fight with a stump. Jon.
I did post pictures in a Shop Talk thread on pulling sprockets, I had a metal work Co' bend me the sheet steel, the pressed shape of it gives it a very strong and robust strength well up to the job, no need for 1/4 " plate as the frame guards are only bolted down with small bolts, to cut and shape things plus doing the grease adjuster flip up lids takes a good few hours, I made 2 sets at 1 time and had little left of a week, there is lots of small detail to get right.