Gonna use a straight 953 LGP s/n 05Z0500 some in the next few days to do some work and I wanna get the AC compressor changed as the clutch is burnt up in the old one. It's hot and dusty out here, and a cab tends to cook you what with all that magnifying glass. I'd like to update the old GM style compressor (Cat OR-5739) to a Sanden compressor. I've just had better luck with them. Has anybody done this? Where could I get one with a 24 volt clutch? Another thought would be to just use a 12 volt compressor and put a resistor or converter in line. Is that something that would work?
A lot of Cats use Sanden AC compressors. I think the 3E-1909 compressor from a 953B is a Sanden. Mountings look similar, maybe you could adapt that part number. There are kits for your compressor available if you want to go that route. Coil kit is 7N-4292, drive clutch kit is 7N-4294.
Yeah, I've not had much luck changing clutches on the compressors. Maybe I'm not good at getting the air gap right. I saw on SIS that the B model used that Sanden compressor, 3E-1909. I don't have access to the dimensions on it though like dealer parts people to see if it will bolt right up. I'll have to wait till Monday to harass them.
I have an earlier 2002 953C that leaked out all the 134a refrigerant and the owner had me come out and replace the loose line at the back of the compressor high side flange, i vaccummed the system, and could only get 1lb back into the system. Calls for 2.39lbs, obviously the operator said it worked fine before the leak. I am not familiar with CATs specificly, and am treating it like charging a light truck. does anyone know of where i can get a schematic online or any component location info??? Alban Alban cat will not fax me anything unless I pay for the info. Looks to be a pressure switch right on the back of the compressor and and my fuse is good at the panel. should I jump the switch or jump power to the clutch to get the compressor going like a car???? Any help would be usefull. Thx
PM me with an e-mail address. I can send you the parts schematic which ought to be a help.
After pursuing this more, I found out that the Frigidaire A6 compressor has a really good reputation for quality and longevity. The Sanden compressors are good, but their main attribute is to lighten up a vehicle. A track loader doesn't need lightened. Also, my auto mechanic buddy hasn't found a good source for clutches and coils. You have to change complete compressors. Even Ford used these A6 compressors on their vehicles in the 60's and 70's, besides all of GM. Anyway, he urged (threatened) me to see the light. Put a new clutch on it after checking the coil. No leaks anywhere on it. I set the air gap at .025 and it works like a charm. $42 from Cat. I'm chillin' now, it's a 102 today. Boy is it nice.
I ordered an A6 clutch and coil for about $250 for my 1985 953 . Part numbers were 600-1107 and 610-124 from apairinc.com in Indiana. Hopefully, this will bring my 953 ac back on line... This should be equivalent to 7N4289 bearing, 7N4292 coil, and 7N4294 clutch. The Cat parts book says 7N4296 but also notes 2P-8232 for compressor. The apairinc webpage shows the compressor if you search for "953 track", then compressor, and shows my compressor as the 500-022 or 500-026. Do a parts search on the right side of home page for 600-1107 and click on "show all" on right side to reveal the clutch components..