Looking at 2 machines to buy an 84 953 7k hrs , cab etc .off original owner for 10k needs a bottom and some tlc or a real clean 955l w brand new bottom ,orops in real nice shape for 11k ?? 953 is a ser num 05z which is a 3204 that's known to have issues , I've owned one that had the head gaskets blow! Love the hystat machines but in a toss up? Any opinions ? Thanks. Mbd.
Used dozers and crawler loaders with hystat trans are more risk than powershift transmission .
This is a tough call really. A good 955 is tough to beat , but the 53 is more user friendly. As far as problems , both machines are used , so both could be prone to some issues. If the 53 needs a complete bottom your looking at 15 grand in parts. This makes the 955 look to be the better purchase. I would look them over closely run them as much as possible and decide from there. I know I prefer the 953 , 2 to 1 over the 955 because of the controls and visibility.
Agree controls are better with 953 and versatility, but a well taken care of 955 will keep on going Sure hope I can get more then 11K out of my 955 after I replace the chains and sprocket teeth
Thanks for input, I agree about 953. The older a models scare me cause I had already one go bad motor . I might look for a (b) or maybe even a newer 939c or d4c? I guess less $ isn't always the answer
The Bs are solid machines. Good power , no computers. You should be able to get a good B for 25g or so. I've seen C models auction for less than 25g with lots of hours , around 14k or more. I'm not fond of the 939, but that's just me.
Have a contractor at my plant doing dirt work and has a 963D on site, spoke to the operator who said it is the cats(no pun) meow when all is working, one electronics glitch and he is down for at least a day. Was down today with something cold related, sensor went open in the system and codes a plenty but had to await Cat tomorrow to send a tech. I would be in my comfort zone with a pure mechanical machine, electronics and severe duty just do not mesh well to me.