Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953C alternator ?

Bruiser26 ยท 2016-02-14 20:20

Just orders a new aftermarket alternator for my 953c and the new one has no terminal for the R terminal. Anyone know where I could run this wire to make it work till I get the right one? From what I read it's a relay control that why I have lights that will Not go out. My other alternator was over charging I could put it back one. Just need to run it this week.

Replies2
  1. #1bam19682016-02-15 01:10

    I'm not 100% for sure but I think the R terminal is the regulator terminal. For lack of better words, It's basically a voltage sensing terminal that the alternator uses to determine when it needs to be charging. Someone should be along to confirm or correct me.

  2. #2Mark2502016-02-15 06:25

    hi bruiser26.As no serial number posted or the type of OEM or replacement alternator specified this is info I can provide the R terminal is tapped off one phase of the alternator internal circuits and sends 8 pulses per revolution of the alternator to the EMS panel at aprox a little bit less than half alternator output voltage. the EMS panel monitors this frequency and voltage and will flash the fault light if out side these parameters, most after market alternators tap off the center point of the Y field arrangement and will not give the frequency required by the ECMS panel. other alternators use this terminal as excitation of the field coils through a alternator charge indicator circuit the alternator you have may be self exciting and will charge the batteries but items like the fault light will flash and the hour meter may not work but will be ok to get you out of trouble just put a bit of tape over the light so it does not annoy you Mark