My loader is need of some P&B work on the bucket and Z bar linkage. There is play in the Z bar linkage connecting to the bucket and both loader arms to the bucket. Question is does those bearings, bushings have to be pressed in? Part number 8G-4022 (16A) for what Cat calls a bearing on the arm to bucket and 7P-3466 (2A)for the what Cat calls a bushing on the Z-bar linkage (2) Planning on new P&B's for the loader arms and the Z bar.
Well here's a couple screen captures out of SIS: We always refereed to these links as "Dog Bones" Bottom end of boom: Best way I ever found to remove the bushings(bearings), not sure why Cat uses one term or the other, is to run a few good hot passes with a welder inside them. Let it cool and most will either tap out or pull with press very easy. If one has access to liquid nitrogen to shrink them you could probably put seal in one end of the hole and then use that as a stop when sliding the new bushing/bearing in. Most of the time I did not have dry ice or liquid nitrogen available. What I did is make up pusher plates with a step about equal to the width of the seals and use that to pull the new ones in with a 30 ton twin cylinder OTC jack, on the bigger ones would use the 50 ton jack.
Thank you Kshansen, that's what I thought - it would require a press. Called our PSR this morning and Cat had put out a notice 2 years ago about the bushings. At this moment I don't know exactly what the notice was or if we can get help on it.
I have used the weld method , it works well. If you do this repair in house , there should be a chart to tell you how many tons of pull it would take to push the bushing in. Your dealer should honor the service bulletin as well. Cat picks the tab up anyway. What exactly did the bulletin say?