Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953c Hub Issues

red_man80 ยท 2012-03-26 09:52

I am working on a 953c it has about 2300? hours on it. The other day we noticed the right side hub had a small groove cut in it, upon further investigation, releases hub was moving when it turned. I immediately assumed bearings went out. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, or could describe a repair for this, i like to know what i am getting in to. Thanks!

Replies25
  1. #1CM19952012-03-26 20:54

    First of all welcome to the Forums red_man80!:drinkup I have a 953C and I am not quite sure what your describing the problem is. Do you have any pictures?

  2. #2red_man802012-03-26 21:06

    Well I just noticed a typo in my original post. I will get pics. The hub that the sprocket segments bolt to, is hitting the track frame.

  3. #3CM19952012-03-26 21:17

    Yeah that's not good..

  4. #4red_man802012-03-26 22:04

    What kind of challenge am I about to get in to

  5. #5CM19952012-03-27 07:24

    That's a question above my pay grade. We'll have to get some more knowledgeable members to chime in on this one.

  6. #6Nige2012-03-27 08:38

    Need photos ............

  7. #7red_man802012-03-27 19:09

    Here is photo

  8. #8Nige2012-03-28 15:29

    Depends how good you are with wrenches ......... First up, there does not appear to be any joint in the Final Drive assembly of a 953C at the location in your photo. Here's a section drawing of the final drive from a machine of Serial Number prefix 2ZN, as far as I can see the BBN-prefix machine is similar if not identical. Where the arrow "21" is pointing to is just about the corner where your bright shiny area is. So the assumption here must be something's broken. A few questions: - 1. Did you not find any traces of oil around the machine, or even anything on the machine itself, around about the time you spotted this..? Because for a kickoff that compartment should be full of oil. 2. Did whoever was running the machine report any type of bang or unusual noise..? To get into this would need (I'm reasonably sure) the following disassembly: - 1. Split the track - this would need the track de-tensioning and then use a dummy pin in order to get the track pin out of the master link. Be warned the pin could be more than a tad tight. 2. Lay the track down off the machine and raise the machine up until the sprocket teeth are clear of the track rails. 2. Remove the cover that appears to the RH side of the final drive in your photo. 3. To get the final drive off the machine will need major disassembly if it's done by the book. 4. I think that if you wanted a peek in the outside of the final drive it might be possible to do it as follows: Remove the 6 bolts #27 holding the small cover to the end of the final drive and remove the cover #28. It's hidden behind dirt in your photo. Remove the sun gear #26 that is located right behind cover #28. Remove all the bolts holding the sprocket segments to the hub, then remove the 6 bolts marked #37. The cover #21 should then come off. I think you're going to find something so disastrous that you'll need a shovel to dig the broken parts out. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

  9. #9overworked2012-03-28 15:54

    clean the dirt off and inspect the pivot shaft, look under maching and see if oil is running down inside of track frame, look in operators manual . it will tell u how to check oil level in pivot shaft, also rock gaud can be bent and thats why its hitting, have also seen eq bars where bushing and pins worn out and that lets track bed articulate to far down and frame will hit final drive, your problem is not in the final, it has to do with track frame, hope this helps

  10. #10red_man802012-03-28 18:55

    Nige: there is no oil leaking out of it. The operator did not say anything about any noises. overworked: i hadnt thought of track frame moving, will check, but another guy that was there when it happened said when they turned the machine the final would move. Too both Nige and overworked THANKS!!

  11. #11overworked2012-03-28 21:06

    Anything we can do to help,

  12. #12overworked2012-04-01 10:51

    How did you ever make out ?

  13. #13red_man802012-04-01 12:30

    I was getting ready to tear into it and boss allowed it needed to go to cat for repairs, so it's on lowboy go

  14. #14red_man802012-04-01 12:32

    Going to cat in morning

  15. #15Nige2012-04-01 14:12

    Let us know what they find, with photos ....................I for one am interested.

  16. #16ih1002012-04-01 14:39

    Just a guess, bolts holding the entire assembly to the machine main frame loose/ missing? I'm interested as well.

  17. #17red_man802012-04-01 20:25

    I will definitely let everyone know what happened....with photos!!

  18. #18red_man802012-04-02 14:38

    Started to cat this morning and looked at the bolts that hold track frame to machine...and all 9 were broke off. Unloaded machine and tore it down and am in the process of removing them now. I will post pics when I get to laptop.

  19. #19red_man802012-04-02 19:16
  20. #20CM19952012-04-02 19:16

    After looking at my 953C and thinking more about your problem, that was the only thing I could think of being the culprit. Your track guides weren't bent or damaged which could have caused the groove and I found it hard to believe that the track frames could be out of whack that much. It looks like it won't be as bad as first thought, if the final wasn't damaged. Good luck on the repair!:drinkup On edit, your track frames were out of whack due to the broken mounts...

  21. #21overworked2012-04-02 22:30

    does the pivot shaft have a stub on the back ? i have not worked on 953 or 943, lots of 973 and 963, the stub is pressed into the frame, usually not easy to remove, my question is about the frame . Is the hole egged out ? we remove worn shafts to rebuild them when worn, and then we have to draw them back in so they are tight and the bolts hold them in tight but the stub on back keeps it properly located. nice pics. wonder if that is a common problem on 953/943 ?

  22. #22overworked2012-04-02 22:42

    looks like some bolts were broke for a while,good time to check pivot shaft oil level and do seal if leaking. hows the other side. sorry for all the questions, repairs are like a drug for me.:crazy

  23. #23red_man802012-04-03 07:24

    Cm1995 Yes the track frame out of whack was the culprit Overworked Pivot shaft does have a stub, no egg shape, or leaks everything seems in good shape. The bottom bolts had been broke a while. It took as long to remove the broken bolts as it did to disassemble and remove track frame.

  24. #24Nige2012-04-03 09:32

    Cheaper than a final drive repair that's for sure .........

  25. #25ih1002012-04-03 15:04

    Thanks for the feedack, Red_Man. Anyone else had this one?