Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

953C noise when turning left

Bruiser26 ยท 2015-10-15 22:51

Have a 2zn that has started making grinding noise or vibration noise when pushing lightly on the left pedal. The noise will go away if you press a little harder everything works fine just the strange noise. I ck both final drive magnets and they had no metel. Has a code but I think is was from a recent battery change Any thoughts? Thanks in advance George.

Replies17
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-10-15 23:12

    Check the code and post it here please. Later Bob

  2. #2Bruiser262015-10-15 23:35

    079 168.04 168.03 The light is not on now the operator says it may stay off all day and the next day it sounds off first five min. Wouldn't it store the codes If it set others? He did take the fuse out one day to kill the buzzer (I didn't like that when he told me). Could that wipe out the codes? I plan to pull the filter and cut open tomorrow. Thanks Bob I was hoping you would be the one to respond.

  3. #3Nige2015-10-16 05:02

    The codes you have are recorded on the Monitor System (079) for Electrical System Voltage (168). FMI 03 is voltage above normal, FMI 04 is voltage below normal. When the Codes are indicated on the panel does the SERV CODE indicator light up at the same time..? If not then they are Logged Codes and not active right now. So the recent battery change could well have created both of them. Have you tried erasing them..? Your machine has a built in click box under the armrest in the cab. Pulling the fuse will not wipe the Codes. It sounds almost like if the alarm goes off for the first 5 minutes that the battery is losing charge overnight and it takes that long for the alternator to get things up to speed from the first startup. Did you change one battery or both..? Were the replacement(s) new..?

  4. #4Bruiser262015-10-16 07:15

    The Serv. Code indicator is not coming on now anyway. I did put in two new interstate battery's 2 months ago and ck the charging system at the time and all was working fine. How do I go about clearing these codes? I have a service manual coming but would like to clear and work it till the alarm sounds and ck codes then. I did find the switches under arm rest and held the clear down but that don't seem to do the trick. I'm sure I can fix it just not sure how to diagnose. Also I do have a hydrolic leak coming from belly pan. Maybe that's causing my chatter? He told me he has to put a gallon in once a week. I'm going to find that this weekend and repair after I ck filters.

  5. #5Nige2015-10-16 08:50

    It's quite simple. First you have to put the system into Mode 3 - Service Mode. 1. Hold both the Service (to the position marked "Scroll") and the Clear (to the position marked "Clear") switches over together. The display will initially show "-0-", followed by "-1-". When it gets to "-3-" let the switches go back to the centre position. 2. Whatever is the first Diagnostic Code on the list will now appear on the panel. That Code is on hold. To scroll through all the Codes press the Scroll switch to the "Scroll" position for a second or two. Keep an eye on the codes as you scroll through them and you'll know when you have got back to the start of the list. 3. Any Code you want to erase, press the Clear switch to the "Clear" position and hold it there for a second or two. The Code should disappear. 4. You don't have to scroll between codes when erasing because when a Code is erased the next Code on the list will automatically appear in the panel. Repeat the process with the Clear switch for that Code. 5. When you have no Codes left the display will show "---". 6. To get back to normal operating mode press and hold the Scroll and Clear switches as per Step 1. The display will count up through the various Modes (I think there are something like 17 but don't quote me on that) until finally it arrives at "-0-". At this point let go the two switches and you should be good to go.

  6. #6Bruiser262015-10-16 12:43

    Thanks a lot got them cleared. Will run and see what comes on.

  7. #7Bob/Ont2015-10-16 16:27

    Good, keep an eye on everything as you work it. These C machines are a lot different, the pumps and motors change volume all the time to control travel speeds. Lots can go wrong in the motors sometimes. Later Bob

  8. #8Bruiser262015-10-20 20:47

    Well cut the filter open and seen small metal flakes. Talked to a shop in Tennessee that rebuilds drive motors and he seems to think I have a drive pump going out chattering. He is going to walk me through the diagnosis and told me my drive motors may be fine but I should send them to him to ck and flush and also back flush cooler and system. Then run cats fine filter and run it at half throttle back and forth till it gets warm so it won't bypass and run metal in the system that didn't get flushed. What are your thoughts? He also recommended getting pumps from cat but warned me that they would not Warrenty them is they were scored up from contamination.

  9. #9Bob/Ont2015-10-20 22:08

    If you have small metal flakes you have trouble brewing. Check out the cost of a dealer doing a job with some warranty attached to it. Compare the two prices and decide, the system is complicated and needs to be clean or you will pay, pay and pay again to get it right. Later Bob

  10. #10Nige2015-10-21 04:28

    Just to give you an idea of what is involved in rebuilding a 953 HPCU I suggest you read this thread...........then get very, very frightened ......... HeavyEquipmentForums

  11. #11Bruiser262015-10-21 11:21

    Just had my operator call and now my BBX is giving me a 036 94.03 code and 079 168.04 do you know what them codes are?

  12. #12Nige2015-10-21 12:29

    MID036 CID94 FMI03 is in the engine control. Fuel delivery pressure sensor voltage above normal. MID079 CID168 FMI04 is the same as you had before (see post #4 above) - Electrical System voltage below normal. Could be nothing more than a dodgy fan belt not tightened enough to an alternator on the point of failing. The first Diagnostic Code may possibly be as a result of the second one but I wouldn't 100% guarantee it.

  13. #13Bruiser262015-10-30 21:59

    Well I end up taking it to cat so I would have some Warrenty and it got pumps drives and a flush with a year Warrenty. $28,500.00 + tax

  14. #14Nige2015-10-31 03:48

    How did that compare price-wise in parts to the guys in Tennessee you mentioned in post #9..?

  15. #15Bruiser262015-10-31 10:17

    I will never know how much it would have been. They seem to think I needed pumps and wanted me to send the drive motors Down and have them put on the dyno and flush. they told me to get the pumps from cat but could save me a lot of money if the drive motors needed rebuilt. I took you guys advice and went for the Warrenty. I kinda feel like cat threw everything at it to make sure it gets fixed? One thing about it I know what I got now. Thanks for everyone's replies.

  16. #16Bruiser262015-12-02 22:41

    Had lots of leaking and call backs since cat repaired my pumps and drive motors. Today it started leaking in the rear belly pans agin. Also my operator says at times when pushing big bucket of dirt it will just stall out then he pulls it back and goes back in and it pushes right through like nothing wrong? Last time I called them about this leak they told me they put the loader in stall condition for 1.5 hours and didn't see any leaks. My question to you guys is will this harm my new pumps and motors? Seems to me like this would be overheating and maxing out my new system maybe I'm wrong. I do think I got a sub par job for $30k when the first day on the job three hoses were lose and the heater hoses to the cab were leaking with 1/2 inch bolts stuck in them that were never attached and some drive motor adjustment covers were gone. I work on cars for a living and anytime a coolant system is drained we vacuum the system for air pockets and leaks before it's filled. One more thing is last time I called about this same leak they put a fuel drain valve on said that's what I saw leaking. Parts $23.00 labor $750.00. I do know the difference between hydraulic oil and diesel fuel. Maybe the 5th time out they will Get it. Sorry for the rant

  17. #17Bob/Ont2015-12-03 14:46

    Document everything and you should eventually get satisfaction. You shouldn't have to go through this at a dealer but they have managers not leaders calling the shots these days. Later Bob