the sprocket segment bolts tend to loosen over time on my 953C trackloader, anyone have ideas on how to keep them tight? Thanks
If you have tried red locktight and they still come loose you need to check your bolt holes in your hub. If they are egg shaped you need to replace your hub. The other fix is welding all of your segments together after installing them. We usually don't weld them directly to the hub. Just welding them together should correct your problem. Good Luck, Quicktrax
I did not put locktite on at all, I will retighten them and try that first. If they have to be welded together, are they welded end to end in the valley of the segment? Thx Quicktrax
Did you torque them to specs when you put them on? I'm not Mr Correct police on bolt tightening but you gotta get em tight, not just on there with a good 1/2" impact wrench. They need about 600 ft lbs if they're 3/4 bolts or 800 ft lbs if 7/8 bolts, just from memory. That egg shape happens because of that. You could always drill them out to the next size. Get those bad boys tight.
We weld them end to end in the valley. Make sure the bolts are tight.
Loose Teeth It is important that mating surfaces are clean of dirt paint grease etc. at time of installation. Also get the proper tightening procedure. Alot of Caterpillar specs call for a certain amount of torque and then an additional amount of turn in degrees. I believe it is called a torque turn procedure. At this point you may want to try new hardware because if it is worn it may stretch rather than tightening.
D. Brace you are correct, I talked to Cat service people and the torque is 158 LB plus 1/3 of a turn on each bolt. I had only used a 3/4 impact gun before. We will install new bolts with loctite and torque properly and hope for the best on it.
Good deal. Also important to clean those mating surfaces. Do it right and hopefully only once.