Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 450C

psmith ยท 2012-01-25 16:31

I'm working on the recoil springs on my 450c John Deere loader. I have it tore down and ready to go back together with new springs. My problem is it's darn near impossible to hold the spring and tighten the all thread to compress the spring to install it. I've compressed it about 1" and need another 3".... Once installed the all thread has to be removed and then it sets in the frame held in by the spring plate ends. The book says to use a press to compress the spring but I'll still have to find a way to hold it while I remove the all thread. Plus I would have to transport it quite way "loaded" up like a bomb. The math works out to be about 20,000 to 25,000 pounds of load when compressed enough to fit in. I'm thinking about using a big impact but before I did I was hoping to find out how other people did it. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies3
  1. #1QuickTrax2012-01-25 21:08

    Can you put the track back on and adjust it tight enough to to take tension off the nut. Just a thought. We ship loaded springs all the time with no problems.

  2. #2psmith2012-01-26 08:45

    Thank you for the reply but you cannot. The adjuster sit inside a pocket of the front cap retainer that is where the all thread goes. With no real other leads, I'm going to try and impact on it today see how that works.

  3. #3Greg2012-02-10 16:33

    typical JD 450C. A real rotten little bitch to work on.