Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955 Oil cooler

AllDodge ยท 2021-06-24 20:37

Sure wish I could get notifications again someday Any way, Started up the old girl after sitting for 6 months to get the fluids moving. Moved her around some and noticed a drip and sure enough, leak near the bottom of the cooler. Removed sides and front grill to get a better look. Can the cooler be removed without removing Rad? Probably have to remove the nose cover HeavyEquipmentForums HeavyEquipmentForums

Replies17
  1. #1AllDodge2021-06-24 20:38
  2. #2fest7772021-06-25 10:45

    i think thats the converter cooler,may have too pull radiator

  3. #3AllDodge2021-06-25 17:51

    Yes its the convert oil cooler Was wondering if I have to pull it as a unit or if the guard comes off and then get at the Rad and cooler BACK TO NOT GETTING NOTIFICATIONS

  4. #4AllDodge2021-09-17 16:42

    Least I'm getting notifications again Got the Rad and cooler off. Pulled 4 bolts out of the top and don't see any in the bottom. It moved a little maybe 1 inch. Anyone know if it lifts straight out or am I missing some more bolts?

  5. #5kshansen2021-09-18 11:12

    I'm having problem trying to get on SIS right now, hope it's not permanent! Not sure if you can remove the oil cooler and leave the radiator in the shroud.

  6. #6AllDodge2021-09-18 11:26

    I got on SIS yesterday and it has changed. Use to be you would look up an item and then could go up or down in the listing, but not now. I found the Rad but not able to find the group The Rad tank caps are above and below the cooler. Seems the bolts or clamps have to be removed to get the cooler out, but the Rad has to come out with before that can be done

  7. #7kshansen2021-09-18 18:56

    Could not find anything on SIS as to a disassembly procedure, bes I could do is find a drawing in the parts section showing the various parts of the mounts.

  8. #8AllDodge2021-09-18 18:58

    Thanks much, appreciate it Been raining here again today, might dry out tomorrow to try some things

  9. #9AllDodge2021-09-23 11:25

    Trans cooler 4N-5903 seems I can find some used ones. When I get it out hope mine can be repaired, but if not at least there is availability. CAT shows there is a new part but doesn't tell me what it is or cost. Need a couple short pieces of trans cooler line. The part number is 5K-4725 and its about 6 inch pieces. Have found the part but it list in the $90 range. Its just high temp thick hose, and there should be some after market. Looks to be about 1 inch ID

  10. #10kshansen2021-09-23 13:07

    As for the cooler I see is SIS a note saying "indirect replacement" so guess you will have to check with dealer. But when I did a Google search on the part number I see this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1W0220-Cat...ic-transmission-radiator-4N5903-/361990028353 As for the two sections of hose I believe you will find that the 5K4725 number changes to 5P2094 and you have to order by the CM at $0.60 per CM.

  11. #11AllDodge2021-09-23 13:22

    That works thanks

  12. #12AllDodge2021-09-23 14:23

    Its probably the same but since mine was changed to a 3304 motor (same as L model), most likely they didn't change the Rad and cooler. Will check just the same. The O ring seal comes up as 8M-4432 but the ones used looked like the quad rings used in other places on the machine. Still have one left to compare and it looks just like the 1P-3703

  13. #13kshansen2021-09-24 07:48

    Not familiar with the 955 but do know that over the years Cat did "update" many hydraulic plumbing parts from standard "O"rings to the quad rings. Actually found a 980G where a quad ring was installed in a line on a hydraulic pump that was made for a standard "o"ring. As this machine came to the quarry when new and I was the only person to really work on it I knew this mistake was made at the factory and it had lasted for several years before it leaked bad enough it was noticed!

  14. #14AllDodge2021-09-25 17:49

    Looks like it just lifts right out. Its so heavy that I just thought it was bolted other then the 4 bolts on top Pressure tested it and it does have a leak. Think I'm just going to buy the NOS from McKinney

  15. #15AllDodge2021-10-06 13:20

    Pick up the 8M4432 O ring from CAT and they are to small Now is either quad rings or use a couple vitron O rings I got at a hydraulic shop. The O rings are a hair larger but they just fit in the groove without issue

  16. #16AllDodge2021-10-10 17:16

    Went to Tompkinsville at Froedge Machine and got some O rings that fit. Everything back together and running good again with no leaks, Yeh Didn't know but it has a radiator cap which didn't have any rubber on the bottom seal area. Looked it up and says is 15 lb, and had a choice between 13.5 and 16 lb, so installed the 16

  17. #17AllDodge2021-10-10 18:50

    Going back together worked better with forklift straight on