Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955’s Coming Home

Fat Dan ยท 2020-06-07 20:32

They were deliverer on Memorial weekend

Replies11
  1. #1Greghh2020-12-13 21:51

    I have the same Traxcavator 12A2365 serial number. So Jealous of the winch!

  2. #2Fat Dan2020-12-14 02:49

    Nice what year is your 12A-02365 about a 55 ? All three of mine need cranks for the D311 diesel engine. Started pulling them apart and summer got long in the tooth and had to put a roof on the house. No shop yet and winter blew in and work on them stopped for this year. 12A-04040 (1957), 12A-03563 (1957), 12A08263 (1960)

  3. #3Greghh2020-12-14 11:06

    I was under the impression it was a 1957 model since it has the oil clutch and the clutch housing cover has the larger bolts which a direct electric starter could bolt in which started I believe in that year. The earlier models had a dry clutch....at least that is what the CAT parts guy said to me once. The engine should be a D315 model

  4. #4Fat Dan2020-12-14 11:52

    DUH! that's right D315 oops ... Been watching too much Squatch253 LOL Hum, I did not know about the wet vs. dry clutches. off hand I'd have to defer to my notes as to the break in the year via S/N but I'll take your word for it.

  5. #5Fat Dan2020-12-14 12:53
  6. #6Fat Dan2020-12-14 12:55
  7. #7Welder Dave2020-12-14 14:31

    Love seeing the old brochures.

  8. #8Greghh2020-12-15 21:13

    What year is that brochure? That is exactly my model it seems. I bought mine back in 1986. It ran fine but had a cracked head. So.... I found a NOS head back then, and for a winter project, we totally rebuilt the engine complete with new sleeves, pistons, bearings, injectors, valves, etc, etc. I doubt we put 1000 hours on it since then actually and it still runs like new. The only trouble spot is the Pony Motor's carburetor getting gummed up all the time with old gas. However, I do have a direct electric starter I have ready to put in it the for about the last 5 years, but just have not gotten to it yet. We still use it on occasion fixing some forest roads and/or moving dirt around.

  9. #9Fat Dan2020-12-15 21:59

    I would say 1956-1957 with the wet main clutch. C ompelling evidence points toward it being a 1957 Series C the brochure and was most likely printed in 1956.

  10. #10Greghh2020-12-16 10:07

    Still jealous of the winch, haha

  11. #11Fat Dan2020-12-16 20:28

    So yours run? This one here had a bad head gasket too, Been looking at my notes and going to put together some info on 955's hopefully. LOL Oooo Myyyy It's just blown on one side (4040) Remember When ? Only time I've seen anything about a 955A ... It is the Bulldozer Blade Attachment I'll post some more later but the Series "C" has a different trunnion than the Series "E" The blade: straight blade with a C Frame and most likely would have the single grouser track pads for pushing.