Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 955 H wont move and hydraulic dont work

randy lee hoeft · 2020-06-06 12:14

any help would be grateful

Replies28
  1. #1BigWrench552020-06-06 14:55

    Check the rubber isolator that mount between the engine flywheel and torque converter. Sounds like they are finished.

  2. #2randy lee hoeft2020-06-06 15:33

    how do you get to inspection plate on 955h

  3. #3Nige2020-06-06 15:44

    The cab floor has to come up most likely.

  4. #4randy lee hoeft2020-06-06 15:58

    60A2773

  5. #5BigWrench552020-06-06 16:30

    There is not a lot that I can tell you about your machine. I have seemed to have forgotten more than that I can remember. 955k was the very first piece of equipment that I ever worked on in my 20 plus years of equipment repair. I do seem to remember that there are shims under the rear motor mounts that are important to aligning the isolators so that they don't come apart. Something to that effect. If I were standing there next to it. It would probably come back to me what I have forgotten.

  6. #6randy lee hoeft2020-06-07 07:46

    I'm trying to get to torque converter , there is no plate to take off, to change rubber pucks , does the floor come up

  7. #7AllDodge2020-06-07 09:24

    Not familiar with the H, but thinking the motor has to come out

  8. #8Nige2020-06-07 10:12

    H model does not appear to have the rubber pucks. This is what they look like on a K model. Ref #3, four of them. The coupling assembly is exposed on later models and you can get straight to it either from above or from below.

  9. #9randy lee hoeft2020-06-08 12:44

    60A2773 serial #

  10. #10.RC.2020-06-10 04:06

    Well I will ask the obvious. Is the engine running? If it is not running, there will be no hydraulics and it will not move.

  11. #11randy lee hoeft2020-06-11 09:01

    yes the engine runs great.just no hydraulics at all ,wont move either

  12. #12Dave Neubert2020-06-11 17:14

    You need to pull the belly pan down you can pull a cover of in front of the dash to look but haveto dro pan to reach it

  13. #13randy lee hoeft2020-06-12 17:20

    Thanks the belly pan is off, i will try and find that

  14. #14Dave Neubert2020-06-13 08:24

    Look at the back of the engine you will see 4 rubber pucks they do look like hockey pucks they connect the engine to the transmission

  15. #15randy lee hoeft2020-06-13 09:58

    Dave , They tell me 955h doesnt have rubber pucks Thanks ,still looking ,

  16. #16randy lee hoeft2020-06-13 10:01

    Dave , Whats dro , all the belly pan is off, Just trying to find where it connects to engine,and replace torque converter ,Thanks for any help

  17. #17Nige2020-06-13 10:14

    Dave, AllDodge posted above a picture of the 955H and it doesn’t show any pucks. Check it out. I posted a pic below his showing what the pucks look like on a K or an L.

  18. #18randy lee hoeft2020-06-14 12:31

    No luck its a 955h not the same as 955 k , any help would be heplful Thanks

  19. #19Dave Neubert2020-06-14 17:34

    Looking at SIS it looks like the torque converter and trans is bolted together if that is so you have to unbolt converter from trans and pull engine something on the coupling has failed

  20. #20sawmilleng2020-06-14 18:55

    When you say "the hydraulics wont work do you mean the loader hydraulics? Doesn't the loader pump run off the front of the engine? Jon.

  21. #21randy lee hoeft2020-06-17 22:28

    i dont know i think it runs transmission, and hydraulics

  22. #22sawmilleng2020-06-18 00:51

    From the drawing AllDodge has posted it looks like the converter is somehow attached to the engine flywheel with either a center spline or maybe the large gear on the converter slides into a corresponding internal gear on the flywheel. In any event, if there is no hydraulic pressure in the transmission, it suggests to me that the outside of the torque isn't turning since that is what drives the trans pump, which is also shown on the drawing. AllDodge or Nige, if this sounds reasonable, what is between the engine flywheel and the torque converter? How is the torque driven? I'm guessing there must be an inspection plate on the bell housing somewhere where a guy could have a look and see if the torque is turning with the engine. I suppose another theory could be that if the torque is turning, but the trans pump is shot or stripped a drive gear and isn't pumping oil. That would equal no trans oil pressure and no action in the transmission. Jon.

  23. #23.RC.2020-06-18 01:39

    I wonder if the setup is like my 922 loader. The transmission pump and the hydraulic pump is driven off the same shaft on the top rear of the torque converter. The converter/transmission unit bolts direct to the flywheel housing.

  24. #24sawmilleng2020-06-18 02:17

    .RC., now that you mention it, there IS another gear in the drawing that AllDodge posted that engages the same gear that the trans pump drives off of. Its on the top of the page and drives to something that is just barely visible on the top of the drawing. Might that be the drive to a hydraulic pump? So if Randy isn't seeing trans pressure AND cannot move the loader lift or bucket tilt then the torque converter is likely not turning. Either way, it looks like the housing containing the torque needs to be opened up. Jon.

  25. #25AllDodge2020-06-18 09:56

    I'm not very familiar with the H model, but I'm thinking the upper gear in the post may be where the starter engages

  26. #26kshansen2020-06-18 11:04

    I'm also not familiar with the 955 H but going by all the Cat equipment I am familiar with if this machine is a direct electric starting machine I would expect the starter to engage the flywheel to crank the engine. Then the converter would be driven by the splines on the conveter where I have put the red arrow, there would be matching splines in the flywheel.

  27. #27kshansen2020-06-18 11:15

    The upper gear I have colored orange in the picture below would be the one that drives the transmission pump. There appears to be an idler gear between it and the gear on the converter. The small pump down near the bottom is a scavenger pump.

  28. #28randy lee hoeft2020-07-11 10:45

    Thanks guys i will check it out