Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955 Series A-K

Fat Dan ยท 2020-02-16 11:49

On the 955 Traxcavator the series (I assume) runs from A to K. How would I go about finding the breaks from one series to the next? Where would I look for that info?

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2020-02-16 12:51

    Generally different models had different Serial Number prefixes. Not all letters were used. A certainly wasn't. It would just have been a 955. The ones I know are as follows. I don't guarantee that the list is complete and my Serial Number reference book isn't within reach at the moment. 955C - 12A 955F - 45A 955H - 60A, 72A, 77A, 93A 955K - 31J, 48H, 53H, 57J, 61H, 64J, 71J, 85J. 955L - 08Y, 13D, 13X, 57M. 64J prefix changed from K to L from S/N 3994 onwards 85J prefix changed from K to L from S/N 4672 onwards

  2. #2Fat Dan2020-02-16 16:17

    As usual Nige you come back with the best information. Thank you so much, I have been looking on the net but I guess I have been using the wrong search parameters. The reason I asked the question is the 955 12A-04040 tag on the engine has a Series G on the back of the fuel tank (not sure if engine has been replaced because rear chassis tag is missing

  3. #3JimInOz2020-02-19 17:16

    I think there were E series too.I operated a powershift H model for a few days in 1987 & really liked it.It had rippers & a 4in1 bucket. Here's a few 955 pictures ,taken from varied sources:

  4. #4Fat Dan2020-02-19 21:34

    First three pics are the 955 "E" series 1960 12A-08263. "E" series went to 12A-08418. I think. Last pic the tank says "Series G" but the engine tag is 12A-04040 1958 955 "C" Series - one is a transplant either the tank/chassis or the engine. The engine (D315) and pony run and are rebuildable but the undercarriage has maybe 10% life sadly it has no chassis tag

  5. #5Cmark2020-02-20 01:09

    That sticker on the tank looks to me like a C with a stain making it look like a G. I'd say it's correct.

  6. #6Fat Dan2020-02-20 01:29

    let me look at the large format Yep your right it is a chip in the paint. It is a "C" series; boy that looks like a "G" I was surprised to see what I thought was a G on the tank because it is the wrong shape tank. Well I kinda feel dumb, but I'm glad there are people like you that help out. Thanks so much