Had to operate my 955K today, after the fuel filter froze up, I changed it out and noticed the clamp on the turbo is broken, the exhaust tube from the turbo to the exhaust elbow is shot. Does anyone know where I can get a turbo? New or used?
I think you'd be lucky to find a used turbo in any better shape than yours. As for new or re-man, maybe others can suggest suppliers. I would contact the Cat dealer and have them fax you a parts page for your machine of the parts you need, the part numbers make it easier to get a quote for the correct parts from other suppliers. You could try HeavyQuip. One person I suggest you call is Joe from Machinery Parts Midwest out in Missouri. I've bought these type of parts from him before at a good price.
http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...x=exact&GUID=277FD1520B414CDF9A699EE15BB1E095 check this list if used will do. If new is desired, check your Cat dealer for Cat Classic Parts. OR http://www.regalcorp.com/ new http://www.tractorparts.com/ used http://www.equippartsdirect.com/ new
The exhaust tube is NOT part of the turbo assembly! Don't get taken. You simply need to match up tubing and radius and get new tubing bends. Any tubing immediately adjacent to the turbocharger MUST be at least 304 stainless, if not 321 because of extreme EGT's. If the tubing connector is "vee-band" style, you will need this part from Cat, or any GOOD muffler/exhaust (see gear-head shop for this) can make you a vee-band flange. If you post a picture of affected area, I will tell you what you need.
I need to take a picture of it, but for now the clamp holding the two halves of the turbo is broken, the clamp in the center, I could probably try another clamp, but I have reservations about the turbo in general. I mentioned the exhaust tube, because it has holes in it and can turn. I checked with Cat about it before and from the parts illlustration it shows the pipe and then rings on the ends that are suppose to sit in grooves in the turbo and the exhaust elbow. The parts guy said the grooves are probably gone and the elbow and turbo would need to be repaired or replaced. I mentioned all of this because it would be nice to find a 955k that someone has that would part out the whole unit-turbo, tube, elbow. I will keep checking, just looking for advice
Get the parts book and see what you need in tubes or castings. Lots of new after market around as new old stock on machinerytrader.com