Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955H

Bruiser26 ยท 2017-04-09 10:31

I have a really nice 955h. My grandfather bought new. It's been sitting for a few years but always started and ran it every six months or so. My question is how much boost should this machine have? It seems under powered a bit and black smoke under a load. It just don't have the turbo whistle like the old girl had at one time. There is no exhaust leaks a few years back I replaced the exhaust manifold for a small leak and cked the turbo and seemed very smooth. This machine was sold to a guy for about 3 months and he killed him self with a tree limb on it. The loader ran up against a tree till it ran out of fuel. I don't know how hot it got. I went to the man auction and bought it back. Changed all the fluids and gave it a new paint job. I sold my 953c and wanting to keep this old 955 around just for some work around the farm. I know it's never going to be a 953 but I think something is not right and would like to get it fixed. I have covered all the fuel, air inner and outers. Any help Would be great. Thanks in advance George.

Replies8
  1. #1DMiller2017-04-09 15:25

    Check for erosion of the turbine blades, any form of restriction in intake piping or exhaust as either could cause blockage, also check and set valve lash verify they are getting full stroke. Not sure if running dry would have done much destructive but heating up may have.

  2. #2Welder Dave2017-04-09 15:49

    How about some pics of the machine?

  3. #3old-iron-habit2017-04-10 19:33

    If it sat and idled for hours against a tree it may be wet stacking. Not sure how much you have run it since you got it back but if it has not worked hard for a few hours do so, work it hard wide open, and make sure it is running warm enough. Ditto on the pictures request.

  4. #4Bruiser262017-04-12 01:01

    Sorry for no reply. I will snap some pictures and post them soon. My phone was dropped in the driveway and ran over. I will check the valve lash and turbo and this weekend.

  5. #5Bruiser262017-04-13 13:49

    Here she is! I bet it's one of the tightest straightest old 955H's out there. With 70% cat undercarriage.

  6. #6Bruiser262017-04-13 13:52

    More pictures

  7. #7DMiller2017-04-13 14:41

    Very nice old machine

  8. #8Welder Dave2017-04-14 00:53

    Looks great.