Hope you guys can help, my father has a 955h that he says needs one of the brake "clutches" replaced. Anybody have a diagram of this or some tips on how to pull this one off? Do you have to remove the fuel tank? Any special tools required? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks..
Park the machine on a concrete floor with the bucket a couple of feet off the floor. Put a heavy piece of angle iron on one of the lift cylinder rods so the arms won't fall. You'll have to remove the cab/canopy if fitted. Then the fuel tank and seat base/battery box. This will give you access to the top of the bevel gear case. Drain the oil from the bevel gear case. Next, hit it with a good presssure washer. It'll make your life so much better. Then remove the hydraulic lines, linkages and any other fruit getting in the way. Loosen off the brake band and remove the brake booster and cover assembly on the bad side. You may have to remove a clevis pin when the thing is lifted slightly. You may also have to remove the middle case over the bevel gear. You can now see the bad clutch. The clutch is held in by two rings of bolts. Remove what you can get to and then move the machine forward (or backward) to turn the clutch so you can access more bolts. Use a trolley jack under one of the grousers to move the machine in a controlled fashion. Aren't you glad you parked it on solid ground with the bucket off the floor now? When you've only got a couple of bolts left, tie a rope to the brake band ends and connect it to your hoist. Remove the last bolts and lift the clutch and brake band out. Easy, eh? and no special tools required!
Really appreciate the reply lots of great information. Anyone have any sort of diagram of this like an exploded view/parts list type thing? Thanks again, the folks on this forum have taught me so much in the short time I have been here...
You can sign up with Cat at their website and look up parts diagrams and part no. I haven't done it yet but I'm told you can look at the same parts diagrams that the parts guys look at. Keep in mind that Cat parts diagrams absolutely SUCK! When I go to the dealer I often bring my paper parts books so it's easier for the parts guy!
I will look I may have a few old shop manuals on the 955H model. If so I will post it and let you know. The 955H was one tough tractor.
If DWB does not post I am pretty sure I still have manual - but it will probably be Monday before I can go to shop
Thanks in advance for the help! Such a great site and helpful folks..
Did you get your information ?- I have a "955" service manual I also have D6C service manual that spans 10 to 99 serial # I think D6c is the same procedure as what you need - I am sure that one of the others will know and tell us
Is there anyway to replace the brake without removing the steering clutch take the brake out and replace it with a 3 piece brake linning
the steering clutch is good can I replace the brake without removing the steering clutch.
955h what is a trolley jack
Hi rhaynes I see from the parts breakdown that the early machines (60A1 to 60A3625) had a 3 piece brake band. I've never come across one of these myself so it may be possible to remove the band in sections. I dunno? I'm thinking that after spending the best part of a day getting to the brake band, another hour removing the clutch isn't a big deal, especially when you can then check the bevel gear bearing and FD pinion bearing for lift. Also, the drive flanges had a habit of coming loose which you can also check for. This is a trolley jack
955h It took me one good day to get to the brake cover . I read your instructions it helped me alot thanks. I have the bolts out of the cover I may not take it off today. this cover covers both brakes. thanks cmark
955h wet brakes I've got the brakes out of my 955h, a lot of work! the brake pads come in 6 pieces per side cat wants $ 17.81 per pad or $550.0 rebuilt for both brakes . Is ther a after market dealer I can get these pades from