Hello all. I'm looking for more information than my local Cat dealer can provide. 85J3191 Removed the shift lever from the shaft along with the key, snap ring, and washer. Seal is intact (no doubt worn out) but the shaft has enough wobble the linkage doesn't have enough travel to shift into reverse without prying it back. No slop in the linkage from up top down to the shift lever. Bushing looks to be shot. Can't get the right diagram to show how it's put together. Don't want to dig deeper than necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Which part ?
That’s the forward,reverse shaft. Can’t find anything in the service manual that addresses that very clearly
The close up pic shows good detail of the part, but I need to know where it is on the trans. Is the on the side where 8 and 26 are, or other Maybe another pic a bit farther away to figure where it is
Forward on the machine directly under the center brake pedal
There ya go you have it The top seal is item 8 p/n 7M1225, these are from SIS
Here is other parts to the control group
Outside of needing the seal, the shaft is extremely sloppy. Is there a bushing I’m not seeing? It’s the vertical shaft that’s at the top of the diagram. There’s a c-clip then a washer just above the seal.
As best I remember Look at the parts page for transmission group, should call out for 2 needle bearings. Good luck Bob
Yes, two bearings 9H3249 shown as item 3 on shaft 14 in the transmission group as viewed from front of machine.
That's the wrong shaft there Cat experts! Bob
The shaft I’m referring to is vertical and center Just in front of the top cover plate. I think 14 is the speed selector and sticks out on the left side horizontal. Don’t find that shaft enumerated anywhere on the diagrams. BTW thank you very much for taking the time
Ok, try 4K3893 bearings item 32 in the linkage diagram All dodge posted. Shaft is part of bracket item 27 part number 5K6580 Well that doesn't look right either with that keyed shaft.
Pretty sure item 32 is on the rear of the trans and its that pivot point which moves a rod forward to shift F./ R I'm thinking its part of the manifold 3S4296, or valve group 3S4298 Using my serial number the upper shaft does show up but still no bearings or bushings. Item 7 (first pic post 9) is a bearing 1S3206 but not sure if that is the one. Think its got to come apart to see. Maybe just the top cover
Appears there is more than one type of linkage configuration but I can't find any info that shows bearings on the other shaft. My Service Manual shows the shaft poking up through the transmission case but still nothing about bearings.
Thanks again all!!! I'll get the top cover off and take a look. I've looked at the parts book and service manual for more time than I want to admit. I expect this group of parts to be tucked in behind the valve body. Probably have to take the manifold off at least, but we'll see. I've had this machine for over ten years probably closer to fifteen. Early on did the bevel gear,steering clutches, drive gear,driven gear,bull gear and all associated bearings on the left. BTW you don't have to pull the tank. It all came right out the back. I've done both track adjusters. More recently turbo, radiator, alternator, temp gauge, new bearings and seal for the second time on the trans input shaft. this time shimmed the motor to well within tolerances. This is the latest thing and I hope the last for awhile!
That's some work, wish you would have posted that work Do hope this is an easy fix.
If you look at the part book page that shows the transmission group in the case at the top of the case should call out the bearings for both shafts. Bob
Do believe this is the correct bearing (bushing), its listing quantity of 2, and found one on ebay with a pic https://www.ebay.com/p/13004952999?...Au8Xxosou3eNpDoHeb8ymtLNBXGlJ3GhoC4xYQAvD_BwE Just trying to be difficult again I see and not helpful
How about...both shifter shafts are the same 7M1225 but the call out on the transmission arrangement points to one shaft with 2 bushings. After thinking about it that may be one 9H3249 bushing per shaft. Hard to believe there would only be bushings at one location.
Agree, and sorry OM left you off as the one which found the PN first
Thanks for the info. It's going to be the weekend before I get back on this. I'll post pics as I go!
Yes they are bushings the bushings are the same for either shaft. I can't remember one you can change fairly easy the other one you need to pull valve body.
Holt Cat sent out an old pro to help with the valve body and change the bushing. And the valve body is no longer a mystery to me. After about an hour of trying to break loose the lower lever from the shaft we pushed the old bushing down through the bottom. That gave just enough slop around the shaft for it to come out the bottom rather than up through the top. The beveled bolt was so tight I had to put it on the press to break it loose. After that everything went pretty smoothly.Top cover back on. I'll finish putting it back together this weekend. Sorry I didn't stop for pics So if anybody out there has trouble with this particular repair I can walk em through it. There's a few things about the assembly that aren't depicted, you've just got to know. Now that I've been shown, I do!!!
From your description it sounds as though there was a single bush in that shaft, correct.? Was it the same as the bush in the speed control shaft on the side of the transmission or didn't you look.? If the two bushes were the same then the Parts Manual would somewhat make sense in showing 2 x 9H-3249 Bearings but not being 100% clear where each of them was located.
Yes, a single bushing. I'm sure the speed selector is the same as the shaft size looks to be identical. It also has slop but functions properly. It's the easy one! I can do it another time. Thanks for all the help!!!