Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955K Struggles

wagspe208 ยท 2011-01-30 20:23

Well, I was changing fluids after the underwater adventure. Engine oil, check, final drive, check trans.. ***? Remove the plug, nothing comes out but a little sludge. Pry around, some ice falls out. No lube. Dipstick has full on it. F me. Yank filters, some ice crystals on filter, none on strainer. Start lift to see if I can warm it up and get fluid to drain. Well, it does not move. F ME! Long story short.. I assume the pickup tube had soem ice crystals in in. Pump was not putting out pressure, gears were turning. I drove it there. Mother nature cooperated. I went up today and no trans fluid in it now. I left plug out and belly pan off as it is going to be above freezing a couple of days. Next, pull off left side track adjuster cover. Broken spring. How big of a deal is this? Must I replace it? Should I replace it. (obviously it was broken before, I just did not know) Wags

Replies8
  1. #1wagspe2082011-01-30 20:25

    Oh, yea... turbo. The turbo outlet (exhaust side).. there is the snail looking part, then a short 4 or 5" section that leads to the vertical piece to the muffler. The 4 or 5" piece has some holes rusted through. It appears to be cast iron. Is this part of the turbo, or a replaceable part? Thanks Wags

  2. #2wagspe2082011-01-30 20:37

    Looks like the "coupler 1P-0420) is available. $97 The elbow it attaches to is 400 ish. I hope the elbow is ok still. Wags

  3. #3wagspe2082011-02-01 16:42

    Talked to the local used cat parts guy. He said "there are a lot running around with broken springs" "how long was yours broke?" I said since I had it I guess. So, he said it should be replaced. 600 gets me new spring, new seals, labor, ready to bolt back on. Parts around 400 to 450, so 150 to do labor. He also said the turbo connector is 30 ish. Connector and elbow (if bad) is 150 ish. SMOKIN DEAL! Wags I pair 9500 for the cat, another 2g in oil, springs, turbo, etc. Still in it for a good price and it has to be worth 10g.

  4. #4tracksfan2011-02-20 21:06

    good posts. what was the underwater adventure, what did you find with the trans? i've never run a 955k, but i did spend some time on a 977L, good solid machine. now how about some pics

  5. #5wagspe2082011-03-19 00:33

    The trans must have some icy slush still frozen in the pickup tube. I let it sit a couple of warm days, went back, installed plug and oil and bingo! Yesterday I did the final engine oil and filter change. Looks great. New air filter and inner filter, new fuel filter, check antifreeze, lube water pump, needs a new hour meter and air filter restriction indicator. It is good to go except turbo coupler. That is tomorrow. Probably second steering clutch gearcase fluid change too. It will be down to final trans and convertor drain and go. Then onto rollers, track adjusting springs, etc. It will be a totally sweet piece. It was pretty good before I dunked it. Wags

  6. #6bunkclimber2011-04-12 06:41

    that is a shop made ROPS and probably not engineered/not be rated for the full weight of that loader in a rollover situation..consider it a heavy duty sunshade..be careful

  7. #7wagspe2082011-04-13 22:33

    Cover things... This piece has covers that go over the adjuster spring, and extend from the front idler to the rear drive sprocket. Are those necessary? An option? What? Or put another way... a few (most) of the bolts are broke off in the tabs. Will there be any issue/ reason not to run it with the cover panel off? I can work on removing bolts in the off time. Thanks Wags

  8. #8Cliffj592011-05-16 17:05

    Wags, What were you doing in the lake? Or is that flood water?