Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955k trans cooler leak

ncrosby ยท 2015-12-20 21:28

I have a 955k 85j serial # i recently purchased. I have a leak at the bottom of the trans cooler above the flange of the lower tube assembly where it mounts to the trans cooler. I originally thought was leaking at the flange but after cleaning up and starting cold i could see where fluid is coming out. Fluid is coming out "foamy". The trans cooler in pretty dirty inside engine bay. I had Cat send diagrams and noticed i am missing the relief valve assembly also. Thoughts on cause and way to fix. Hole in cooler core?

Replies5
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-12-20 22:22

    I think you are saying there is a hole in the cooler core, if so take it out and a good rad shop can fix it. Later Bob

  2. #2ncrosby2016-01-02 23:51

    Any idea on how to remove trans cooler w/o tearing front of tractor off. Does radiator have to come out? I am about half way thru tearing front of tractor off. Dont know if there is easier way?

  3. #3Bob/Ont2016-01-03 09:56

    You can remove the rad core complete with cooler core and then separate them when out of rad guard. Later Bob

  4. #4turfblazer2016-01-03 10:59

    i'am not a sales man for this guy , i bought from him because he got me a great deal compared to going with a original equipment. i did the cooler repair in my tc54h which was a 2004 unit now that being said it was a older unit and its been around road salt . the rad shop repaired it , 1 year later it leaked again . my own labor is not worth the hassle of the down time . consider calling american cooling solutions 605-201-9604. i dont know if he makes units for your machine but worth a call i'd suspect, then make your own decision.

  5. #5ncrosby2016-01-03 22:22

    I was able to separate rad/trans cooler and pull front guard with come-along and remove out the front of machine. Prob not most conventional way, but got it out