Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

941b cat

jeff mac ยท 2015-12-20 12:41

My 1974 941b cat has stopped moving forward and backwards. I changed the oil to cat oil that cat says to use, I put a new drive pump on the transmission, and I have rebuilt the torque converter to to try to get it moving again. When the machine got hot the transmission would act like it was slipping, then not move in 1st but would move in second and once moving would move in 1st, forward or reverse. until it got hot and then would not work at all. I would shut the machine off and leave it for a day and everything would work well again until it got hot then we would go through the same problems. On the 3 rd or 4th day it stopped moving all together warm or cold. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience on how to fix this? Jeff mac:

Replies4
  1. #1Nige2015-12-20 13:02

    Have you changed the oil filter..? Did you cut the old one open and look for any particles in it..? Have you pulled the suction screen to check for debris..? Have you considered doing a system pressure test on the transmission..? That might probably point in the right direction to solving your problem. Up to now it appears that all you've done is throw money at the machine by changing parts with the thought that hopefully one of them will be the problem and changing it will make the issue go away. It's time for some proper diagnosis I think.

  2. #2Bob/Ont2015-12-20 18:04

    Works when cold and has trouble when warmed up roughly translated means "Got a leak someplace" good pressure test of trans will find that. To do it right check clutch pressures in all gears at low throttle and compare to full throttle. If reading is more than 10% less clutch is leaking. Later Bob

  3. #3jeff mac2015-12-20 20:15

    cat 941b Yes I have checked and changed the filters There were no particles per say but there was some aluminum dust. Yes I had the suction screen and feeder completely off and it was clean. Yes it does feel like I'm throwing money at this machine. I will try to get oil pressure testers and try that. Thank you. jeff

  4. #4jeff mac2015-12-20 20:23

    Thank you I will try to get oil pressure testers and try that. jeff