Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955l 13x trouble shoot torque converter

Oldcase125b ยท 2020-01-24 22:49

Brand new to posting on forum but have been reading for a while. Thank you all for the good information. Bought a cat 955l serial number 13x got service manuals to diagnose torque converter and transmission overheating after about 30 minutes of running. Pressure also drops, shifter will return to neutral.

Replies20
  1. #1Nige2020-01-25 04:16

    Which pressure is dropping and where exactly are you measuring it.? Do you have any idea of what type/viscosity of fluid is in the power train.?

  2. #2DMiller2020-01-25 16:41

    Nige is the Cooler for these as the D6C Series as a Side mount to the radiator? Choked possibly if is?

  3. #3Old Magnet2020-01-26 23:24

    Trans/torque oil is air cooled as stated.

  4. #4Oldcase125b2020-01-27 11:06

    Nige, thank you for your response. I am rigging up a better gauge to test my torque converter outlet pressure. Had checked pressure before directly from port on top of pump. Got reading of 300psi, but gauge range goes to 5,000 psi. Changed transmission fluid, filter and replaced with rotella 30 w. Have also cleaned transmission magnets. Cleaned small suction screen on top of steering housing. Replaced transmission pump seal to make sure fluid was not leaking past.

  5. #5Oldcase125b2020-01-27 11:09
  6. #6Oldcase125b2020-01-27 11:17

    Nige, early on in troubleshooting process I removed transmission control valve pack and found one bad oring out of the six that were there. Didn't seem to fix issue.

  7. #7Oldcase125b2020-01-27 11:22

    Control valve

  8. #8Oldcase125b2020-01-27 11:23

    O-ring was chewed up

  9. #9Nige2020-01-27 11:28

    That's an engine oil if I'm not mistaken. If I am correct then I'd think twice about using that oil in powershift transmission clutches. You really need something the meets TO-4 specification (It was TO-2 back in the day not but most oils today meet TO-4)

  10. #10Welder Dave2020-01-27 11:45

    That screen looks to have a bunch of metal filings in it.

  11. #11DMiller2020-01-27 13:01

    Has a bunch of something on it.

  12. #12John C.2020-01-28 10:32

    The material on that strainer is pretty normal for an old steering clutch machine. As far as heating problems with the converter go, I would suggest you get an infrared thermometer to find where the heat is coming from. The usual suspects are the cooler and excessive clearances in the torque converter. You can check the inlet and outlet temps on the fittings of the hoses going into and out of the cooler. You can check temperatures on the inlet and outlet valves on the torque converter. In my experiences with old Cat dozers, the converters are the usual problems. If you remove the converter for repair you will need to remove the cooler as well and have it cleaned and checked for leaks.

  13. #13Oldcase125b2020-01-29 21:03

    Thanks for all input, I got a new 600psi gauge and hose to test pressures. Oil cooler was warm at bottom and cool at top after running and pushing a little dirt. I have installed new oil cooler bypass valve and temp gauge for torque converter.

  14. #14Nige2020-02-01 03:59

    The attached may help you when you get round to testing.

  15. #15digginjake2020-02-11 17:14

    Thanks nige, my email got messed up, digginjake is old username. I put new 600psi gauge on transmission filter test port. Reading is about 310 psi, but needle is jumping all over, always have to add about a gallon of oil to get reading up to 300psi. After about 30 minutes of running pressure drops to around 100psi, will fluctuate back up to 250psi. Going to check converter outlet pressure next.

  16. #16digginjake2020-02-11 17:17

    Found used torque converter, ordered new seals and bearings.

  17. #17digginjake2020-02-11 17:18
  18. #18John C.2020-02-11 20:14

    I can't tell for sure but the left side of what I think is the stator seems to have a lip showing on the radial surface. If it is, you got problems.

  19. #19digginjake2020-02-11 20:44

    John c, I will take a closer look tomorrow and get better picture thanks.

  20. #20charles walton2020-02-20 08:24

    If it was me I would check the new one good and replace any parts that were even close to being worn out before installing it.