Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Balancer

Fat Dan ยท 2020-01-25 08:07

I got a 57, 955C 12A3563 and a60, 955E 12A8263 as boxes of parts and in a few more days (if the weather holds) I'm bringing them home. for the past week or so I've been gathering parts from sheds, from under the loader and buckets buckets of bolts and the like. In the process I came across a part I'm not to accustomed to, it is called a balancer. I understand the concept. My question is "Where does it go in the 955C and does it still balance the crank or something else? Also is there a possibility that it will need timed in some way as I have seen in other counter balancing shalts?

Replies23
  1. #1Vetech632020-01-25 09:16

    It is designed to balance dynamic loads of the engine. They are usually mounted inside the oil pan to the bottom of the engine block and driven by the crankshaft gear. Whatever you do, DONT put that thing in your engine as the pic shows!

  2. #256wrench2020-01-25 11:19

    yes they need to be timed as per the service manual

  3. #3tctractors2020-01-25 15:25

    These balance weights spin at twice the crank speed so need to be in very good condition, they alter the engine pulse is the simple way to describe things, smoothing out the hard thump of the cylinders as they fire, they are common to be fitted to 4 cylinder engines in 2 usual formats as in your picture or as long balance shafts called Lanchester balance shafts after the Lanchester brothers that developed this type of frequency control in engines. tctractors

  4. #4Fat Dan2020-01-25 21:16

    Thanks so much everyone for your responses they are greatly appreciated I have yet been able to spend any quality time with the engine block or chassis because the temp outside has been so inhospitable. Tried to free one of the old girls from the ice (-4040) - a lesson in futility. But I digressed; the balancer was underneath with the oi pan cover or on the floorboards of the 955C poorly warped in a plastic bag and placed in a 5ga. bucket. It dose need some cleaning and de-rusting but after pulling out the old oily sticks, leaves and debris is spins freely. My question, now that you emphasized "NOT" to put the balancer in, in its current condition, which condition is that; because it is really rusty and dirty or that it may need rebalanced due to its bad storage? The 955E (-8263) is not in as ruff a shape and is still for the most part in one peace and not in buckets of puzzles and parts like Old Bones here (-3563). The guy said that -8263 just quit ???? He said it just died it turned over but wouldn't restart. No CA-CHUNK, Clink, Clank unwinding of tightly wound springs or strange sounds came from the engine - it just quit. Old Bones came with newly rebuilt Pony engine (needs a few more gaskets) and reworked undercarriages; Kinda like "One Piece at a Time" the country song by Wayne Kemp and recorded by Johnny Cash in 1976 "What model is it? Well It's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 automobile". The bottom rollers are all in great shape but some are greasers and some are oiled - no hill for a stepper Here is a good, bad and ugly picture of -4040 Frozen ("let it go, let go ... HERE I stand and HERE I stay")! Well until spring anyway.

  5. #5Fat Dan2020-01-25 21:27

    tctractors: just reread your response and thanks I get why they are going to need to be checked out. Now where would or how would is yet another question I think can be answered by The Good Book - Service Manual. But they want nearly $900 0r $500 for CD. I'll keep looking.

  6. #6Delmer2020-01-25 22:59

    So what's the plan? Is this something to keep your mind sharp, kinda like crossword puzzles? IF you're trying to get one operational, then a machine that "just quit" but turns over sounds a lot better than one in buckets. I've put together tractors that came in buckets, not sure it was worth it, but I'm not senile yet either so maybe it was worth it. Especially if the one that just quit turns over smoothly and evenly, then go for that and leave the buckets unassembled in case you need the parts down the road.

  7. #7Fat Dan2020-01-26 00:23

    First I'll get them home and see what I've got then I'll make up my mind what to do with the old girls. You are more then likely correct about buckets of bolts but I've had good luck and lots of fun polishing turds in my day.

  8. #8Old Magnet2020-01-26 01:34

    Are you aware that the "C" to "E" model change included a change from D4 size undercarriage to D6 undercarriage at s/n 12A5793?

  9. #9Fat Dan2020-01-26 03:04

    No, I did not just found out it was an E model yesterday. I did read that it changed (somewhere) but did not know the change spanned the years I own. Great information to know, would you by chance know what size engine the E model has, D315, D318 or the 330)? I've done little to no research on the E model so far because it has been a real crash course on Caterpillar. However, the undercarriage on the E has very little wear and will probably out last me because all it will ever have to do is move snow. The E model has a 1.5 yd. hard rock sidedump bucket attachment. Yeah there are better attachments to move snow but lets see whats we gots. Again I see I'm going to need a good Service Manual; Keep slapping me with that idea I'll get it eventually - I'm from West Virginia ya gotta show me 'twicet' has I hold up three fingers.

  10. #10Old Magnet2020-01-26 11:07

    The whole series 12A1 to 12A8418 uses the D315 engine.

  11. #11Old Magnet2020-01-26 13:21

    Takes these manuals to cover it all. The hardest one to find and the most useful is Service Information Form #3225.

  12. #12Old Magnet2020-01-26 13:22

    The hard to find...

  13. #13Fat Dan2020-01-26 17:07

    O wow thanks Old Magnet I will start reaching the manuals right away I have several parts books for the 12A 6U7U. YES all three have the D315 thanks for the good news

  14. #14Old Magnet2020-01-26 18:07

    Apparently they are reproducing the 54 page service manual for the 12A 955. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...3392634690?hash=item2162ddf742:i:143392634690

  15. #15Fat Dan2020-01-27 03:41

    Thank you very much for looking and finding a great manual, I've done lots of searches and never came up with that one. I believe that one is just the attachment (Traxcavator) and possibility the chassis. But looking at that one led me to one I'm looking at one now that dose cover the chassis, attachment and engine #12A1 for $100. Just like my Harley; they don't call it HD for Harley Davidson it's because it costs you a Hundred Dollars every time you look at it. I'm new to working on Caterpillar and I was wondering if there is a similar analogy at work here but the monetary amount starts at (that magical number) $955 ? Yet a $20 manual is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick; but wait then you wouldn't need the manual. Um.. must be using the wrong mixed metaphor I might just get it anyway for a second opinion. Truly Thank you so much

  16. #16Vetech632020-01-27 07:04

    This shows promise!

  17. #17Old Magnet2020-01-27 10:52

    That hard to find 54 page manual is not just about chassis. It covers what makes the loader unique compared to the D4. It's a must have.

  18. #18Fat Dan2020-01-28 05:27

    Thank you; I will give it a better look.

  19. #19sealark372020-01-28 10:32

    What a splendid project! You should pick up a case of PB Blaster. Get a rosebud for your torch. A bead blast cabinet would be a huge help. You will find that Cat equipment is well-designed, as well as easy to work on. The manuals are essential. Your Cat dealer stocks the best paint for your project. Keep us advised of your progress, and Good Luck. Regards, Clark

  20. #20Fat Dan2020-01-28 14:39

    Great advice thanks. I got a half dozen parts books the 955'S.

  21. #21Fat Dan2020-01-28 17:45

    Oops, hit the wrong key. and it took me awhile to get back O' most definitely I will buy interest in PB Blaster thanks for the tip ... I'll also keep the project advisement up because until I'm fluent and well versed in Caterpillar I'll be seeking wisdom and knowledge here I did get two Parts Books for a Cat 12E Motor Grader and a Cat ELECTRIC START 12E Motor Grade, a service manual on the D&G-398 and D&G-379 engines between them and this parts book and this and this one and two of these K-7 manuals I found this service manual . I've been reading the wrong manuals. I have to say, I'm off my game the family pet past and it took the wind out of me my focus has been elsewhere.

  22. #22Fat Dan2020-02-03 05:17

    Update on the Service Manual: That wonderment of information given by the yellow 955 Traxcavator (Chassis) Service Manual was a BIG let down. The manual came with the 1957, 955C and 1960, 955E but it still cost me $110.00. I pulled the D315 engine on 12A3563. The non-Cat Caterpillar Service Manual showed the info on the oscillating frame crossover (leaf spring) and frame of the D4 J and U series and not the rigid Traxcavator 955 12A. All service manual has as distinctions between series is early and late. DUH !!! The 955 12A series used a solid frame crossover (engine support) and has a solid ridged crossover molded across the front of the frame unlike the D4 J and U. With all the wrong info supplied by the bad service manual what should have been an hour job turned into a solid two and a half job and the boom truck was $110/hr. No complaints about the price of the boom truck or the help but it would have been nice to have the correct information when the iron was hot. My point here is to buy REAL genuine Caterpillar manuals or whatever you buy because, if you don't, it will cost you more time and money in the end.

  23. #23Fat Dan2020-02-09 23:42

    Thanks Clark, I took your advice got the first can of PB and dug through the old parts shed and found a party sized rosebud. Not really that is a regulated nozzle for a very large fire extinguisher. They were used at military air fields and on carriers the large cylinders were pulled around on carts.