Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955l bucket positioner – float

hot_rod_eddie · 2026-03-06 19:19

I have never used the bucket positioner on my 955l. Had the machine for about 4 years. I don't even know if it works. Missing one hose, and the rod. I didn't think much of it until one of the fittings started leaking. (Side note, I found the fitting on SIS and it was only $6, wow. Well, Cat doesn't stock that part, it has to come from overseas and I have to eat ALL the freight charges $300-$500. That would be a no). I found a fitting at a hydraulic shop, so I am thinking of getting it working. So after all of that, here is my question: what does the positioner do? I've been told it keeps the bucket in the same tilt angle, but the bucket stays at whatever angle I put it at unless I am pushing or digging heavy. #1. What would I use it for? #2. How do you actually make it work? I see the "float" on the lever, but that just seems to be the middle of the stroke. Sorry if these are stupid questions but this is my first piece of equipment and until now I have only been pushing down trees and digging.

Replies5
  1. #1AMBMike2026-03-07 12:23

    First of all I'm not very familiar with the 955s as the few I've been around were years ago. There may be some regional differences in terms but to me the bucket positioner is an automatic device that puts the bucket in a set position. On older machines this was sometimes a bar that the operator could adjust with a wrench that would contact a kickout linkage. Some were strictly mechanical, others had hydraulics involved. In newer machines it's often electronic using position sensors either internal or external to the cylinders. After dumping, the operator throws the bucket control all the way to the rollback position and the bucket positioner stops the bucket movement at the location set by the operator. This can be handy if you're not familiar with the machine and want to get the same "angle of attack" on the bucket each time you hit the pile. Float on the other hand opens the valving between the head and rod ends of the lift arm cylinders allowing the arms/bucket to "float" over the ground rather than digging in or lifting the front end of the loader. Some operators will use float while in reverse to grade.

  2. #2hot_rod_eddie2026-03-07 16:17

    Thanks for the reply. This has a rod that hits an arm connected to a valve body (bolted to the cylinder) that appears to bypass the tilt cylinder. At the control lever is says float. However, there isn't a detent, it is just in the middle between dump and tilt. On the Cat parts site it is called a bucket positioner. Just wondering it it is worth it to get fixed.

  3. #3hot_rod_eddie2026-03-07 19:19

    Correction. The float label is furthest forward . Won't let me load pics

  4. #4AMBMike2026-03-07 20:25

    As I said earlier it's been a long time and I haven't had any luck bringing up photos online that are clear enough to see. I believe your machine has 2 levers for the arm and bucket, correct? If so the left or inner lever should control the arm and the right or outer lever the bucket. In that case, float would be placing the left lever all the way forward where there should be a detent that holds it there. The bucket positioner should be pushing the right lever all the way forward where there should be a detent that holds it until the bucket positioner kicks it back out. (I may have the arm and bucket levers reversed in my mind... Sitting in the machine I don't have to think about it, here at my desk, the more I think about it the more confused I get...) If the detents aren't holding they may be out of adjustment or worn out. If it was me I wouldn't worry about fixing it but I virtually never use either float or the positioner.

  5. #5hot_rod_eddie2026-03-08 17:49

    Again thanks Mike. I pulled out my manual to look up something else. Low and behold I see the hydraulic section that completely describes both the float and bucket positioner, physically and hydraulically . Thanks.