My loader has to have the shifter held back to stay in gear, is hard to shift to start with, and is sluggish after it engages(moreso in reverse). I changed the filter and cleaned the screen after it was being weak, but it remained mostly unchanged and developed the first two problems mentioned. Any ideas?
when you say "weak" do you mean it doesn't have much pushing power when you do actually get it into gear..? Have you lifted the floor plates and cleaned/lubricated the shift linkage..? The more you have to push the linkage to get the tractor in gear the more chance you have of bending something. Try the above as a first step. While you are doing that also keep an eye open for any sloppy bearings or rod ends that will cause excessive play in the linkage. Although it looks complex the whole linkage can be overhauled for somewhere around $100 in parts.
Yes, it will go across flat ground, but hills and loads stop it outright. I did that after changing the filter. I fiddled too and didn't see any exceedingly loose connections. It feels like it's pushing back when I do get it into gear, and it'll kick itself back into neutral if I let go. Also, the reverse side is acting weaker than the forward, and it won't accept third gear as a thing in reverse.
Mine had to be put in reverse with a crow bar on the linkage when first purchased. After remove, clean and lube the linkage piece at the toe of my shoe. It has a couple bolts holding it, just remove and disassemble then reinstall. These machines need more grease fittings.
You have low pump pressure, likely from a worn out pump. Did you check filter for metal? When you take it apart, look for pump damage from drive shaft thrust due to worn drive tang and splines. If drive splines are worn the gear can be turned over to use the unworn side. Putting a new pump into worn splines will ruin the new pump. Later Bob
Update: replaced both filters, cleaned both screens, and found and fixed a place that was sucking air running to the cooler. No metal in either location. Will now only run in forward, won't reverse at all, and only runs in first gear.
Get us some pressure readings please . Warm oil pump pressure high and low throttle check in all gears. Later Bob
Where does one check these?
You can check pump pressure on the filter at the plug in cover. Should be 350 psi. Later Bob
Aight, we're looking at zero to fifty pounds of pressure holding the brakes and moving while changing through the three, both forward and reverse.
If you had throttle wide open it sounds like you are at initial pressure setting. Clean the top of trans off, take out the control valve and clean it. You really should have a manual to read and get a good understanding of it's operation. Later Bob
If you want the System Operation manual for the transmission send me a PM with the tractor Serial Number and your email address.
Okay, it took a bit due to weather, but we have fixed it. The modulating relief valve had a stop with a rotten seal. After all the trouble, it took a piece that costs $2.66. Thank you all for the help.
Well done. Glad you fot it figured out in the end and it wasn't an expensive fix.....
I have the same 955 but I can only find the filter that is half under the seat. Where can I get a repair manual? And I can't find the Serial Number? My 955 will slowly stop on a hill at full throttle and if I push the left pedal it will go again but slowly slow down and stop again. Any help would be greatly appreciated because I can't find any of the parts locations that you guys have mentioned
To get the correct manual (there are a number of different ones) you really need the Serial Number first. Can you find anything in the way of a Serial Number on the engine.? Did the seller give you any details when you bought the tractor.? Model (955H, K, L, etc).? Year.? Post some photos of the tractor and the engine. Someone might recognize something.
There is a filter and a screen next to each other. Filter under the larger cover and screen under the smaller If correct fluid is used and fluid is at correct level, think drive clutches Check the pedal linkages and springs to see if they move freely and springs return pedals back to the stops Adjust clutches by removing covers and tighten adjusters until they are snug, then loosen 1.5 turns. Reinstall covers.
I dont know much about the 955 but I'll try to post pictures
Here are pictures
More pictures
More
Well it's not an L model so my previous post is not relevant
The plate with 5m5308 it is for 977h 53a
I've been looking at a lot of pictures and the closest thing I've found to mine is a 1964 955 h
It also fits 955H 60A-prefix.
So any ideas of where the screen might be or witch repair manual I might need?
The streaner in my manual 955u he is not far the pump and he is in round housing
I would suggest that you join ACMOC - www.acmoc.org - their members are very knowledgable on this generation of Cat machinery. I also understand that they have a library of manuals that can be accessed by members. From the photos the machine could either be a 60A 955H or maybe even the earlier 12E 955C/E model, but I bet the people at ACMOC could tell you for definite.
That's definitely a 955H in the pics.
Thank you for your help
I've got a 955k that I haven't used in a year or so. Got in it, fired it up but it won't go into gear. The lever does not want to move. Is this a low fluid safety or is it something more? Thanks in advance for any insight
That means low or no transmission pressure The old ones had a mechanical safety it had to have oil pressure to compress a spring so you could move the linkage
Follow the linkage down where it connects to a pivot on the rear of the transmission. The pivot piece has linage going forward and to the left going to the lever. This pivot piece gets froze up because it doesn't have a grease fitting. Remove and lube it up