http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=11334329 Bought this machine at auction today. I have yet to lay eyes on it , the seller said it was on a farm all its life. It shows 4000 and some hours but the meter looks to have been changed. I believe the u/c is a little weak but I paid 15 grand for it and have a little room for repair. It should be a great addition to my D39EX dozer and backhoe. The seller said the machine was dry and very tight. We shall see.
That looks like a decent machine for that price. What is the HP & weight of a 943?
Should be 80 HP about 25000 lbs.
Took the maiden voyage today. They delivered it about 9 am, I checked it over oil levels etc and started carrying some dirt. I really like the size of the 943 and the bucket capacity is not bad compared to a 53. After an hour of running I stopped for a once over , the machine seemed to be stalling or struggling somewhat or low on power. I changed the fuel filters , the primary screen was plugged with sludge haven't cut the secondary yet. Checked the air cleaner it was coated in a black substance I blew the outer out and found the source of the black substance , there is a missing piece between the 45 and the muffler connection. After changing filters and cleaning the air filter it seemed to have a little more punch to it. It would lug down and when you eased off the speed control it would come back faster. I have no idea how long its been setting. Seems to have considerable blow by out the oil fill. I need to change the oil soon. The steering and bucket controls seem to work well. I will post some pics tomorrow , can pics be posted from a phone? I may need some assistance with finding the exhaust part I need my parts store didn't show any results.
Post a photo of the area where the part is missing. I'm sure someone will be able to find it.
Easier than a computer. Your phone will more than likely default to the mobile site, just go all the way to the bottom and click on "full site". To post pics, I would think it's the same as a computer. At the bottom right of the quick reply box, there is a tab that says Go Advanced. Click that, then Manage Attachments. Then (on my phone anyway) a screen comes up showing all the photos you've uploaded. On the right side, near the top, is the Add Files tab. Click that, and then it depends on what phone you have.
Dickjr, get the exh leak fixed soon. The leaking exh will blow through the trans cooler and the cooler becomes a heater. Later Bob
This is the gap in the exhaust.
Might be wrong but that looks like a muffler pipe broken off. Later Bob
Bob's right. The pipe has broken off the bottom of the muffler, probably rotted through. See below. Genuine Cat muffler 1W-9832 - $280. Cat Classic muffler 416-5493 - $100. Clamp ref #4 7N-5650 - $12.50
Thanks Bob and Nige , I'll order it tonight. the engine has considerable vibration at idle like most 4 cylinders do. I wondered if it should be a solid connection or it just protruded through the hood. I also think some of the low power is the throttle linkage is way out of adjustment not allowing the governor to work properly. You have to keep the throttle lever about half throttle just to keep it idling or it will die. Run the little booger about 3 hours loading the truck today , I'm getting pretty fond of it. So far it hasn't used a drop of oil that I can tell. I'll post a few pictures in a bit.
A few pics of the 43. Its a pretty straight little machine , and its works well loading the truck. Plan to get it to the shop and install a new muffler and do an engine oil change and outer air filter. The inner looks new. Hoping to install a red dot a/c by summer.
Just a suggestion - get those tracks tightened a bit ......... It looks like a nice machine from those photos.
Yeah I thought they were a little loose. I am not sure what the proper sag is or procedure either. I know the 953 I ran you were supposed to go forward and stop then adjust . It had a tag with the proper adjustment on it. Can't find one on this machine.
Adjust them tight, mark the idler position, then back off 3/8". Later Bob
Pretty good looking machine there. I hope it serves you well.
I think there are supposed to be two gauges on the dash above the steer pedals. They are gone , there are wires there for the warning lamp and the buzzer. I think they are engine temp and trans temp. Did the 943 not have a fuel gauge? Where would be a good place to locate the mounts for the gauge , I might just buy new gauges or try used ones.
Both electrical temp gauges, eng and trans are options, the monitor panel is standard. Later Bob
How do you know exactly when you have them tight enough, but not too tight? Many times I have had to let some grease out because the spring compressed while pumping grease? I suppose if you mark the track frame, then after getting it positioned run it a bit and recheck?
If you want an Electrical wiring diagram send me a PM with the Serial Number and your email address. It won't be very complex but at least it'll tell you what wire does what.
No, they had the dipstick in the fuel tank.
Went to order muffler and clamp today as I had business in Lexington. It was funny I gave the parts guy the numbers Nige gave me for the Cat Classic muffler and clamp. He couldn't find it on his computer but when he put the numbers in the parts came up as muffler and clamp. Went from 320$ to 136$ and that includes shipping to my house.
Parts guys get really freaked out when you pull sh*t like that on them - priceless .........
I always liked to be able to look up my own numbers instead of playing the game of trying to explain to someone who has never touched a machine what I wanted. It's like the time I asked the Harley Dealer about buying a parts book for my Sportster. Owner of the shop wanted to know why I wanted one of those. I said "To look up part numbers!" Crazy idea huh? 27 years later still have the book and the bike, actually got to take a short ride yesterday due to some very unseasonably warm weather here in New York. Average temps for this time of the year should be in the low 30'sF it hit 66ºF yesterday!
Nige the s/n is 03Y01878. I'll pm my email. I went to tighten the tracks today and the grease zerk under the plate was smaller than my gun would clamp onto. I checked fitting on the machine and they work fine. I wonder if the zerk is worn or is there a special fitting to connect the grease gun to. hope to get my muffler tomorrow so I can hear the engine instead of noise.
Same here. I use the online parts program from my Cat dealer to look up the part I need and either call in the part number or go to the store. Sometimes it's difficult to locate the part number you need or just didn't have internet access at the time the machine went down. If I don't have a number, the parts guys give me **** when I go in or call - all in good humor of course.:wink2
Went out to tear down a shed today , the loader started but it was hit and die several times. It was 29* F here. Lots of white smoke with that strong diesel smell. Not sure if the injectors are dribbling or if its a low compression thing. Or were they cold natured anyway. 50* F days it starts like it was just turned off. I am liking the size of the machine pretty well. I still need to tighten the tracks , I think I may have to order new grease fittings/ relief for it as my gun won't connect to the current adjusters.
Some repairs I am currently working on. Replacing the muffler. The Cat Classic muffler looks to be good quality and fit well. The 45 that connects to the muffler flange was about 1/2 " short. The flex pipe would not budge so I removed it and took a cutting wheel to remove the flex pipe. Parts should be here by noon tomorrow. It was dumping soot straight into the air cleaner , the outer was as badly plugged as I even seen one. Hopefully a few more odd and end repairs and I can get a summer's work out of it. I am wanting to hear it run with the muffler , it was broke when I got it so its been basically straight piped from day 1. I think I have a oil leak under the engine I'll check out next.
I put a Cat Classic muffler on my 953 several years ago and it's held up well. I don't remember the pricing difference off hand but it was a couple hundred cheaper than Cat standard. At the time money was tight and I needed a muffler, so far so good. You should get good service out of it.
Exhaust is repaired , new inner outer air elements , fresh oil and filter. Stilling trying to get tracks adjusted. I found an oil leak on the starter side (passenger ) its pretty significant. I plan to run on keep an eye on it , if it worsens it will have to be fixed. I thinks its the rear seal.