Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L caterpillar

Wacoplan · 2025-07-07 19:32

Looking for a wiring diagram for a 955L caterpillar. I believe it is a 1978 model, but don’t know for sure. The alternator wires have pulled off. An Orange and a red wire, I think they should be connected together and to the alternator. The red is hot, 24 volts, the orange has nothing. They look like the came out of the same connector. I would like to get all the gauges working again.

Replies13
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-07-07 19:43

    This help

  2. #2Wacoplan2025-07-07 20:05

    That will help. Thanks

  3. #3Nige2025-07-08 06:51

    Attached the wiring diagram listed for 85J machines with Serial Numbers from 9510-10969, which includes yours.

  4. #4Wacoplan2025-07-08 07:01

    Thanks. Now I just need to find the download. Me and Apple computers don’t see eye to eye. Ha ha

  5. #5Wacoplan2025-07-08 07:10

    Does it take a special Key for the electric disconnect switch?

  6. #6Nige2025-07-08 07:17

    Universal Cat disconnect switch key. Part Number 8H-5306.

  7. #7Wacoplan2025-07-09 08:14

    I ordered a key, so this is not a valid question.

  8. #8Legdoc2025-07-09 22:09

    Nige help me. That looks like the same disconnect key my 120H has. Back in the day at the Cat dealer (late 70's in another life) all technicians had a "Cat key" that looked like that and it started all the machines of the time. Is it the same key? If memory serves the profile was a little different. Have not seen one for 45 years.

  9. #9pittsburgh cat man2025-07-09 22:23

    Could have been a lot of operators and mechanics filed the humps off the legs of the key so you you could remove the key with the switch on.

  10. #10Nige2025-07-10 02:27

    It is the same key in all master switches whatever the machine. As per above a lot of people filed off the nibs at the end so the the key could be removed with the power on.

  11. #11skyking12025-07-10 13:49

    Sometimes you had three or four machines to start and you didn't want a pocket full of keys.

  12. #12Welder Dave2025-07-20 02:40

    There was a fence staple in the toolbox on my 931B. I wasn't sure why it was in there until I forgot the key one time. It works perfectly to turn the master switch on.

  13. #13CM19952025-07-20 13:28

    ^^This. All my disconnect keys are filed.