While removing cedar and mesquite trees from my Texas property, the left track slipped off. It's clear that I applied the incorrect tension when I recently rebuilt the track tensioner. So I have to jack up the left side? I can use the bucket to push up the front to block, will a couple of 30 ton bottle jack be enough to raise the rear? Thanks in advance for your help
put a wood block or anything behind the track, back up on the block, it will jack itself up....but looking at the pictures, it should walk itself back on in reverse
See if you can get someone in a truck or tractor to help you. Put a chain on the top of the track a link or 2 behind the idler and pull at about a 45 deg. angle from the opposite side while slowly going forward and the track may pop back on. Will need to lift the boom up. I helped my former neighbor put a track back on this way. Loosening the adjuster off may help but try without first.
To address your track issue when removing trees, here's a step-by-step breakdown: 1. **Jacking Up the Left Side**: Yes, you’ll need to lift the left side to reposition the track. Using the bucket to lift and block the front is a good start—place sturdy blocks (like hardwood or steel cribbing) under the front frame once elevated to secure it. 2. **Rear Jack Capacity**: A 30-ton bottle jack is likely sufficient for the rear, but verify your machine’s weight (check the operator’s manual). Most compact to mid-size excavators/skid steers have rear weights well within a 30-ton jack’s capacity. For added safety, use two jacks (one on each side of the rear frame) to distribute pressure, and always place blocks under the jacks to prevent sinking in Texas soil. 3. **Track Reinstallation Tip**: Once elevated, release the tensioner fully before guiding the track back onto the sprocket and rollers. After repositioning, reset the tension to the manufacturer’s specs (typically 1–2 inches of sag when pressing down on the track midpoint) to avoid future slips. Stay safe—ensure the machine is on level ground, engage the parking brake, and never work under an unsupported load!
Yes, this is exactly what I did and it worked. Used my skidsteer with forks to move the tracks in place after using a 30-ton bottle jack to raise the left rear. Thanks for your support!
Did you photoshop your pics? I have never heard of or been so lucky to have a track come off on flat dry ground!!!! Usually it happens in the most inconvenient places. Like on a creek bank knee deep in mud!!! You are definitely a lucky man.
I'm glad to be of help