85j07889 955l Was perfect running condition when parked last week to do repairs. Cranks fast, no start. Minimal or 0 smoke. Glow plugs work and are 1 year old Fuel getting to injectors and squirting out when lines cracked. Fuel is primed, handle is hard and stays hard. Air filters perfectly clean. Same no start even with filters removed I had to drain the Fuel tank during part of the repairs, take off some Fuel lines to remove the exhaust manifold and replace the elbow and turbo. New turbo was put on. Its an exact fit, cat manufactured 'new old' stock. Though its not sold for a 955l. All lines and openings connect perfectly. Tried spraying ether, nothing. If I run glow plugs for 45 seconds it will rumble for 1 second then stop. Last year when I bought this it didn't have working glow plugs and would start. Ive bled the Fuel system as best I can. Doesn't seem like an air issue. I don't know the fuel pressure, but when cranking the 3 lines I could see were squirting out far. Fuel is fresh and clean. Maybe flushing the tank disturbed some debris. I have another filter I can put on. Tank was very clean though. Zero rust. Batteries are newer. I am fully charging now. Voltage was dropping to 21.9 at the batteries when cranking. Just checked the voltage at starter. It is 25v, but drops to 20.3 at starter when cranking. I didn't touch any wiring during repairs. Maybe spilled diesel got into the connections. Major storm here now so I cant check further When cranking, oil pressure gauge starts building. Gets into the normal range but maxes out because engine won't turn any faster. Engine has run well with high oil pressure since I've owned it Any ideas?
Did you check if the compression is angaged and fuel trottle
I'm not familiar with how to check if the compression is engaged. Is there a lever somewhere I don't know about? Fuel throttle seems to engage and disengage correctly. I can feel the 'click' going from 0 to 20% throttle. Fuel filter was just replaced and air bled from fuel again. No change.
You haven't got a plug or a rag left in the intake system from the turbo change by any chance.?
That is something I almost did this time, but no, intake is clean. I'm thinking now this is starting system related. After re assessment I dont think the engine is spinning fast enough. This 955 has been a great starter, within 2 seconds after I replaced the glow plugs and harness. So I haven't really had a good look at the speed of crank. I just went to try to start it with full batteries after I cleaned all wire connections. Same loss of voltage at the starter. I had pressure washed the side of engine because of all the oil leaks and debris. It looks like I got some water in the starter. The best thing to do is probably try to find a new one and take some time to try to diagnose and repair this oem cat starter. I'll update in a week or so after I have the new starter installed.
Replaced my 955 starter with a gear reduction model, easier to install because more room (tad bit more room for boxed end wrench) and not as heavy
If he has a lever decompression he should be on rear head near the dasch
Ok. Well this is embarrassing. I had taken out the paper towels put in the intake tube side so I knew 100% there was nothing on that side, but I decided to look today just in case. I missed the clear cap on the turbo side. It was a brand new turbo. I kept wondering why I couldn't get any smoke out the exhaust. Now it all makes sense. Oh well. Runs good now. I put on the new starter. Fires right up. I still have a 4v drop in voltage when starting. Its probably time for new cables. They look about 50 years old.
Good that the plastic cap wasn't on the suction side and got pieces sucked in.
Fair play to Nige for getting to the bottom of it . We’ve all done things like that (well I have) and there’s no shame in admitting it as it makes us all aware of the obvious sometimes.