Can anyone one help me. I have a1966 cat 955L. It's not used often or for long and I am not an operator. The problem is, it only moves forward or feverse after warming up and then doesn't have the power it once did. Help ..... inherited property..... needed now to revive farm
Davwil welcome firstly,now have a look around make a few posts then start your own thread,where it should be and you will get the help you need. A few photos and serial numbers will also help.
Here you go Davwil. I moved your question to the track loader section. Welcome to HEF!
Davwil, we have a 955L but I can't offer any specific advice other than filters and I think there is a suction screen to clean. Someone else will know more. Just wondering about either the age or model of your machine. I would think a 1966 would be a 955H? As the 955 models progressed through the letters there was a huge change in the machines themselves, would really affect diagnosis.
I'm really not sure of the year,955L is on the decal of the equip. Just inherited the equip. and know nothing about it,I'm removing bushes on an overgrown farm. It acts like a car with low trans. fluid. In this economy, I was hoping to find and EZ fix. Today, I will get the serial# and purchase a manual. Any help is appreciated.
It's pretty common for someone to paint a machine and use the wrong decal, sometimes just to be humorous. Post a serial no. and someone will know or post a picture if you can and we can narrow it down. It could very possibly be low on oil at it would act just like what you say. A first series 955 is in the 20,000 pound range, an L is 37,000 pounds, so big difference.
Davwil, The 955s were a great machine.I operated both the H & L series & loved both. Only problems I had were blocked fuel filter from bad fuel,but you might have screen or wear issues in your machine. Here's a few pictures of the various models...maybe you can ID your unit here. Jim
955L problems Thanks for the info. the serial number is 71J5820 and I have pictures, Just don't know how to load, but I'll find out. Today, the trans fluid was low due to a leak and after fillig, it ran fine. I payed alot of money fot this machine to be brought back to life, new hoses, cyl. rebuilt and it's important for me to keep it up so I'm getting a repair manual. Soon I hope to know enought to talk about it.
That is a good looking machine! Looks to be in good condition compared to mine.
955l Though I'd add pictures. The older gentleman is my dad. the almost cleaned out fence row is my first 10 hours on the 955. Just fun
955L problems pictures
According to the Ritchie Brothers web site that serial no. is a 955K manufactured between 1966 and 1968. I didn't know the K went that far back.
955L problems That cage on yours would be realll helpful. Now, If I just learning to operate it.
955L problems Where would be a good place to get a repair manual?
Someone on this forum maybe. E-bay usually will turn up almost any manual if you wait long enough. Best place would be Cat if it's still available as you should get all the update pages and addenda but they are very pricey. The service manual for the 955L was well over $300.00 years ago. The owner and operators manual are cheap and have a lot of service info. Make sure you get books that cover you serial number range. Parts pages are on Cat's web site with lots of good pictures. That last sentence was a joke. You won't believe how bad the parts books are till you see one.
You can also try www.jensales.com . I ordered all the manuals from there for my 175c. They're cheaply bound copies but they are much less expensive than getting from the dealer. If you don't see your machine listed, give them a call, they probably have it. Nice looking machine!
955L manual Thanks, jensales have one for about 20 dollars less than I've found. I get it. Went thru one gal. of trans. fluid today, got to find the leak. Thanks