I am wanting to know if you can remove the track tensioner piston without removing the tracks? Are there any tricks that I should be aware of before I begin my adventure.
This thread might give you the answers, or at least some of them ......... HeavyEquipmentForums
What I'm trying to find out if it is possible to replace the track tensioner guts without separating the track. I don't have the alligator type track chains. So I would have to get a press to remove the pins. Thanks Nige.
If your tensioner and recoil setup is the same as the one in the thread I mentioned above (see post #62 on Page 5) then you should be able to get the adjuster out without splitting the tracks, especially if the chain links are worn and so have extended somewhat. The manual assumes everything is new, under those circumstances the track really needs splitting. Once everything has worn you can get the idler further forward to give more room to work. To get the adjuster out may need the recoil spring assembly removing as well. If you haven't looked under the guards you may well find that the springs are broken. If that's the case you are into a bigger job than you imagined. Again the thread above can help you.
Okay the springs look straight and not broken. Thanks for the reply
There might be a way to remove the chain without splitting it. I was able to remove the chain using the technique some of the fellas on this forum recommended. After letting all the grease out of the tensioner I was able to use a couple of short pieces of bar stock placed into the sprocket and slowly reverse. The chain can then be slid off the sprocket then the front idler with a couple of long pinch bars and some muscle. The other option might be to compress the spring enough using the bar stock option and take a few turns on the compressed spring - but this must be done very cautiously. If you can get enough clearance you might be able to remove the tensioner cylinder.
Bryant, check out this post HeavyEquipmentForums Best Wishes slwbid