Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

What Machine to Grub Mesquite?

Twdupuis · 2016-04-17 15:08

Hello all, About to buy a skid steer/ctl? The main purpose of the machine is grubbing mesquite. Was interested in the case 1845c. Heard they were great machines. My concern is that 1, it's wheeled and 2, is may not have enough break out force. I want the most reliable machine possible. Would like to stay below $30k. It looks like the Deere 329/333 have significantly higher break out than other models? Though those models are higher than $30k. Seems like that would be beneficial with the grubbing application. Look forward to hearing your comments. BTW, the property is reality flat ranch land, no rocks, minimal low land. Thanks in advance.

Replies12
  1. #1Delmer2016-04-17 16:33

    There have been a few threads on Mesquite, and some other similar plants that I'm not familiar enough to remember. You might want to find those threads ("heavyequipmentforums mesquite" in your search engine) and compare their results with the size that you have to deal with. I don't remember a skid steer being mentioned, it was excavator vs dozer vs big track loader.

  2. #2Twdupuis2016-04-17 17:38

    Ok, great. Thx for the info

  3. #3Twdupuis2016-04-17 18:35

    Didn't find much on particular machine selection. Plan on getting a "Vail X" series grubber attachment to do the work with.

  4. #4Twdupuis2016-04-17 23:30

    Didn't realize wasn't in CTL forum, will repost in that section, if ok? Thanks

  5. #5Steve Frazier2016-04-18 00:07

    Please don't post multiple threads on the same topic, it causes confusion and difficulty in both posting and future searches. I've closed the threads with no response, this will remain. Thanks

  6. #6Don k2016-04-18 08:19

    You better get a track dozer or loader. I have a JD 450 C and it is only big enough for small mesquite. Even then you are going to have to back and either grub out or spray what come back.

  7. #7Nige2016-04-18 09:47

    This seems to be the tool for the job, although I suspect it might be a little outside your price bracket. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_PTSq6Y-7I

  8. #8Twdupuis2016-04-20 14:23

    Yeah, I've actually contacted them twice, but have gotten no response. I guess my job is probably to small for them. At one point, i thought of just buying an excavator and having a grubbing bucket fabricated. I just cant justify buying one for that job alone, i would have no other use for the machine. A skid steer I could justify for multiple task, but not really any other machine.

  9. #9john kraak2017-10-28 11:42

    where are you located and how many acres are you needing done?

  10. #10Bls repair2017-10-28 12:50

    Buying a machine that you don’t think will do the job seems like a waste of money to me.

  11. #11DMiller2017-10-28 17:25

    Bump up to a 931C Cat or a 555G Deere and you will feel a great deal more functional.

  12. #12Tones2017-10-28 18:33

    The University of Texas, Dallas Campus has some really good info on the Mesquite grubber including all the downstream costs. Its available online.