Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L Suction Screen debris identification

rnexus · 2024-02-13 16:57

The fluid level was below the filter. Fluid seems clean though and no smell. What do you all think of the debris in the filter and on the magnets? Loader has been parked a long time. It did have a few hours of use last fall though, but not much in the past 5.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2024-02-13 18:31

    It all depends when the mag screen was last removed, but TBH there doesn’t seem a lot of anything either metallic or non-metallic in those photos to be worrying.

  2. #2rnexus2024-02-13 19:12

    Thanks for the info. From some of the other pictures of screens I saw, it doesn't look to bad. But I don't know how to diagnose. Service manual hasn't arrived yet. My parking brake doesn't work, and it's not the linkage. Brake does work, but I haven't tested it enough to know how well. Vehicle steers fine Is there supposed to be fluid covering the filter and magnet at all times.? I'm guessing it's been about 20 years since the screen and mag have been replaced, based on what I know about the 955.

  3. #3kshansen2024-02-13 19:25

    Agree very much like oil samples. Not knowing the hours since either oil or strainer was changed basically tells you almost nothing. Say if that screen was just spotlessly clean one day ago and now looks like that one I might panic! But if the last time the strainer was out was 2001 I would think that machine might be in fantastic condition. Hate to think about how many people running equipment like that never knew there was a strainer to begin with!

  4. #4OzDozer2024-02-13 19:45

    I'd be a bit concerned about that level of trash in the screen, and metal on the magnets, if the tractor was mine. But if they haven't been cleaned in 20 years of operation, then that explains the level of contamination. However, if the tractor hasn't been used much in 20 years, I'd be concerned.

  5. #5rnexus2024-02-13 20:53

    I was told it has had 300-400 hours use since 2005. It was used on a farm

  6. #6Nige2024-02-13 21:03

    When you went to remove it did it look like the screen had been removed recently.? TBH if they never removed it for years what's on it now is not worrying.

  7. #7rnexus2024-02-13 21:36

    I don't think anyone had been in there. There was dirt and debris all around it. I'm about to go pull the steering clutch screen. Finally found it. (Service manual isn't here yet)