Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L Track came off….how do I put it back on?

DPForumDog ยท 2013-09-15 23:24

We just bought a 955L a few days ago. It was running great and all of a sudden the right track came loose off the front roller. It came partially off of the rear and it is still on the sprocket at the top. I loosened the grease fitting so that I could push the front roller toward the back. The track is still on the rear sprocket on the top. I don't know how to get it back on. Right now I am stuck in a brush pile. I was hoping that if I could get the rear jacked up and then the track might rethread itself by rotating the rear sprocket in reverse. Any better ideas or advice? Any and all help appreciated! DP

Replies4
  1. #1eric122013-09-15 23:57

    i would start by jacking the 955 up by using the bucket to pick up the front of the machine and block the underside towards the back as best as you can, and when you lower the front of the machine the track should lift off the ground enough to move the track around. then find another machine to help maneuver the track back onto the 955 if possible, if you have an excavator or other machine available you may be lucky enough to hook a chain to the track pad and pull it and fight it back on if the tracks are worn out enough and you get the front idler sucked in all the way. if that doesn't work then you'll have to find the master link of the track and split the track. then align it as best as you can and get the master link between the top roller and the front idler, then use a come along or the other machine to connect the master link again. if you don't have another machine but can disconnect the master link after you get it between the top roller and front idler, you can do the same thing with long pry bars to maneuver the track and use the come along to pull the track back together.

  2. #2DPForumDog2013-09-16 07:10

    Thanks, Ill let you know how tat works,

  3. #3DMiller2013-09-16 08:15

    My bad day last year:

  4. #4DMiller2013-09-16 08:18

    I started by getting the rail adjuster fully retracted, once loose I jacked the rear of the machine up so I could rehang the rail on the sprocket. The next step was to raise the machine with the bucket and jacks front and rear to get the rail squared back under the rollers after which I used come-alongs and chains to pull the rail up enough to slide across the front idler, I also had a second tractor for a anchor for sideways pulls. Four hours, by myself, in a swampy terrace bowl, I feel your pain as many here do.