My track came off my cat 955 and I have no idea why? How can I reduce the chances of this happening again? What are some causes of tracks coming off a trackloader in the middle of a job? Thanks, DP
Track adjuster seals buggered ,if it is the grease type .
Rebound spring broken or weak, adjuster not holding, idler worn to a severe taper, rollers worn tapered where any can allow the rail chain to creep over the idler in a side thrust.
After looking at DMillers pictures .... HeavyEquipmentForums I am wondering if our rail adjuster didn't start out with enough? We didn't seem to squeeze out as much grease as is in your photo. Would the rail adjuster being short on grease cause there not to be enough pressure and allow the track to come off?
Also I am wondering if its the brush/log/stump pile we are trying to tackle? see my other thread... HeavyEquipmentForums Would working in the midst of a log/stump/brush pile cause the track to come off? say a log got wedged up in it? Thanks
If you are pushing/lifting on a grade and trying to swing the tractor at the same time with slack in the rails could do it. I would definitely look at the rebound springs behind the adjuster yoke/shaft, if it is broken it can let the rail adjustment slack up when in a hard crowd. I rolled mine working the hillside just above the site of photos. Had a bucket of tree parts I was using the 4/1 to pull out of a pile and side slipped a turn rather than backing down the grade, track rolled right away.
what were you doing when the track fell off? were you on a pile of chunks or stumps or in mud? or on flat dry ground? and does it have rock guards by the bottom rollers to keep the tracks in place? also how far out is the front idler, is it all the way adjusted out or was it not adjusted properly prior to the track falling off?
Another issue many don't consider is snaking, if the rail bushings are end worn to a taper with the eye hole in the connecting link ears worn tapered the rail can snake pretty far sideways, when it does this it can roll the guide edges under the idler and again aid in a roll off. My old rails are really snakey, I have replacements as they tend to pop and bang while working cross grade with the chain trying to get on the center rib of the idlers, I just work slower and more deliberate, this will be worse while backing.