Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L Track change

AllDodge ยท 2014-05-14 14:33

Starting to think about replacing my chains and sprocket teeth on my 955L. The pads are in decent enough shape so I'll be getting bids for the chains and figure out how best to change them. My thought is to get it in position and use the backhoe to push the idlers in as far as they can. Jack up one side at a time, remove the pads I can and then cut through the chain and drag it out from under it. Once out remove the rest of the pads and replace the sprocket teeth. Get the new chain and install old pads on most of it. Drag it under the rollers, pull over the idler and connect the chain at the sprocket. Then reinstall remaining old pads and then repeat on the other side. Will it work or am I making it hard on my self?

Replies6
  1. #1AllDodge2014-05-14 17:00

    Looks like I found my answer in the dozer section HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Nige2014-05-14 17:47

    Same offer applies. If you want to see "what the book says" as a procedure then PM me your machine S/N and your e-mail address.

  3. #3Bob/Ont2014-05-14 21:50

    Just a heads up here. Clean off the track adjuster cyl and lube up the outside. Open the valve put a block of wood in the sprocket and back up. Then close the valve and pump out the cyl a bit. This is because the front pilot tips forward and can bite onto the cyl and seize it there. Later Bob

  4. #4DMiller2014-05-15 07:18

    I second Bob/Ont suggestion, only I use a piece of 2" schedule 80 pipe I found in a scrap bin at work laid in a sprocket cup, almost anything that will fit a cup on yours will work to collapse the tension cylinder.

  5. #5Nige2014-05-15 07:52

    i'd second the above 2 opinions, but suggest before backing up just extend the tension cylinder a hair. You'll likely find you have a "tide mark" of hardened material right where the adjuster rod comes out of the cylinder. That material might take a bit of removing, but well worth it as in the end your cylinder will collapse that much easier and there is less risk of damaging the seals if the rod is cleaned up.

  6. #6AllDodge2014-05-15 08:56

    Thanks to all, very good tips, I'll use them. One side is at it's limit and the other has about a 1/2 inch to go, so they are well worn