Hi everyone, I have a 85j6565 serial number 955L and I recently got all new parts for the tensioner and got a spring that is 7” longer than the rod. Should the spring have to compress that much before being able to thread the nut on?
Yes the recoil spring does need to be compressed by that much, and it is not a job for the inexperienced. It will require at least 20 tons to compress it. Search the web for “Death Spring”. Edit: No point in reinventing the wheel. See this thread which as a matter of fact you started. HeavyEquipmentForums
I don't think anyone can beat this quote from a VERY experienced Cat dealer guy.
I took my spring, and other parts to CAT dealer and they compressed it. Took back home and installed
I think Clint said it best......
When I was in my early 20’s I was cutting one off a D8 that the owner told me to cut it off. I was in the middle of the cut, right in the middle of the coil when he dragged me by the back of my shirt away from the dozer. It was cut about 3/4 the way through, maybe more. He dragged me to the scale house yelling and screaming at me the whole way. Telling me I almost got killed and all that bad stuff. Well it was 9 am anyway so everyone else came in for coffee and Fred is telling the others about what I was doing. The loader guy and the magnet guy were all yup yup yup, saw him start cutting in the middle. I figured, that big of a spring, must not have much pre-load. Half way through coffee break we all heard and felt a whump. Everyone looked around and kinda giggled. We went out and that damn spring was nowhere to be found. The rod was gone. The side cover was mangled as I had it leaning against the cage. Month later the magnet guy found half of it 300 feet away in the shred pile. I learned some stuff there but that place and my brain almost killed me a few times. Then there was a time the Type 30 can stud sheared off the back, as I was changing a diaphragm and the can spring grazed my head. Didn’t have it locked in all the way, I guess.
So the D8 doesn't have a bolt going thru the middle which is fastened on each end like the 955L?
Tore that right out. Part of the reason I was cutting that spring, the rod was wore out in the guide.