Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L trans and case oil levels acting funny

MikeVincoli ยท 2012-08-25 22:00

Checked the oil in the steering clutch case ans trans yesterday before I used the cat ans noticed that the case oil was low and the trans oil was high. Can one compartment leak into the other and change levels? I did move the machine about 50 feet to add fuel before I checked the levels and figured this messed them up. I did let it sit shut down for an hour before I checked the levels with it at low idle like the manual says.

Replies6
  1. #1kbeen2012-08-26 16:04

    mike here is a picture of the lip type seal that does seperate the two compartments. item # 16. transmission from bevel gear which i believe is the same as the steering clutch compartment. i would get the oil level correct again and see what happens again.

  2. #2MikeVincoli2012-08-27 05:04

    Oh Boy!! This looks fun!!! I'll check the levels again after they are correct and let yall know what happens. Thanks for the info kbeen!!!

  3. #3Rusted2012-08-28 03:56

    When you check the oil at idle make sure the oil is up to operating temperature or the reading won't be correct.

  4. #4MikeVincoli2012-08-28 05:08

    I think my Cat lube manual states to check it cold at low idle? I would agree, that checking it warm would make more sense. I may have miss read something. My manual is 30mi away with the machine.

  5. #5MikeVincoli2012-09-08 21:46

    OK, here's the deal. I did a fluid service on the 955 a couple months ago. Followed the diections in the Caterpillar lube and maint. guide. The manual states to drain the trans oil with the machine hot and refill to the correct cap. which is 10 gals, then restart engine and check at low idle. When I did this the oil level was still low after 10 gals added, so I added until the level was correct. Evidentlly I added to much and after removing about 3 gallons today and running it for about 4 hours and checking it, it checked correct. I guess I didn't have the oil warm enough when I checked it the first time after the refill to give an accurate measurment. The manual was a little misleading I think.

  6. #6Nige2012-09-09 09:41

    Mike, the capacities given in the Service Manuals are only approximate. Always fill to the dipstick or level plug or whatever, not to "X" gallons. Also if the manual says check the level with the machine warm make sure it's fully warm before you check.