Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L turns out a 955K

AllDodge ยท 2011-04-20 19:11

Searched through some previous threads and found the track on an L model is the major difference with a K model. Just bought a 955 and the guy said it was an early 70's 955L model due to the serial number. Number is 85J5044. Took the number to Wayne Supply in Louisville and they said it was a 1968 955K. The machine ran pretty well, track looks good, not much in the way of leaks and was used on a farm for the last 4-years. The machine did not run long enough to get it to complete running temp but everything worked well. I didn't see anything that gave me any indication there may be a problem. I'm going to pick it up smetime next week and pay the rest of the money. Is there anything you may recommed I check before I hand over the rest?

Replies11
  1. #1Old Magnet2011-04-21 20:49

    Might want to check a little further....that's way to high a serial number to be the first year production in 1968. I don't have all the parts book to check but what I have shows 85J5044 to be a 1971 model with the D330c engine. At 85J6247 the engine changed to the 3304 which I show to be in the 1971 to 72 range. Supposedly the model change occurred with the 3304 engine change. I also see plenty of bogus information on the serial number/dates of the K & L models so there is no wonder folks are confused.

  2. #2Old Magnet2011-04-21 21:31

    Forgot about your track comment. 85J1 - 10128 is all 6.91 in. pitch track. At 10129 they change to an 8 in. pitch

  3. #3Old Magnet2011-04-22 11:11

    OK, did a little more digging. The change to the "L" model occured with serial #85J4672 in 1971 along with the engine change from a D330 to the D330c. The 3304 engine came in at 85J6247 in 1972. Your 85J5044 is an early 1972 model.

  4. #4boone2011-04-22 13:39

    Congrats on finding a loader. Lot's of people on here have 955's so you'll be in good company if you get it. As far as what to look for there are lots of hidden things on these machines you may not see till you've spent some time with it...usually after you've bought it. I would definitely get it up to operating temperature. Don't be afraid to take your tools and open up some of the side shields and panels to get a better look at the engine. Maybe the owner has a way to block up the bucket before you do that. Here are some things that come to mind and things you've probably already checked. Some of these things will just come with age on an older loader and aren't a deal breaker but may give you an indication of it's condition. * Check for hard start, noises, lot's of blow-by and/or blue, white or excessive black smoke. * Check that oil, hydraulic and transmission fluid levels are normal. Transmission you may have to check while engine is running and at operating temp. * Check to make sure the torque converter is working well by putting the bucket in the ground and make it spin the tracks. Not recommended in the owner's yard. :tong * Check to make sure it tracks straight for a hundred feet or so. * Check to make sure it steers well on both sides in fwd and reverse. * Check undercarriage for wear - idler, rollers and sprocket and chain slop. * Check to see if bucket curl and boom will lift front of tractor. Take the hydraulics through full cycles and listen for noise to make sure nothing's binding at any one position. * Check for sloppy linkages. * Check over the hydraulic lines and hoses to make sure they aren't cracking and leaky. * Check for leaky cylinders. * Check for subtle cracks in frame and engine. * Check coolant level (while cold) - this might give you an indication as to whether coolant has been escaping somewhere. * Check your gauges if it has any on whether they work. You might not be able to take the pans off, but look for excess fluid leaking around the transmission or coming out of the pans once you've run it at operating temp. Goodluck!

  5. #5AllDodge2011-04-22 19:00

    Sure appreicate the input. I should have spent more time looking it over but the guy sure seamed stright up. I feel good about the deal and it could very well be a 71 or 72 instead of a 68. Just figured Wayne Supply would know what their talking about. I check what I could in the short time I was there and the guy was ready with the tools to let me get into it. All in all I feel good about it and sure hope it stays that way. I'm going to pck it up this Friday. Bought all the filters, fuel, air and oil. Going to have the oil analyzed. After this the wife is asking what am I going to buy next..... she sure is a good one, think I'll keep her

  6. #6Rusted2011-04-22 20:09

    OM, the "K" series used the D330c from the outset I'm pretty sure as it replaced the original D330 in '67-'68, with the change to 3304 in '72 as you stated.

  7. #7Old Magnet2011-04-23 00:02

    Hi Rusted, Are you sure? That seems too early compared to other D330 to D330c conversions. What lit I have shows the "K" starting out with D330 but as I said there is a lot of bogus info out there. Eventually I will have the parts books that will actually verify the bore change.

  8. #8Rusted2011-04-23 00:50

    '67 may be a bit early, but they were certainly there in '68. I have a '68 build 922B loader with the D330c, and I remember at about the same time the D6C's went to the 333c with no turbo, but the same 125h.p. as the original D330T. That went for about 3 yrs until the turbo went back on when they went to 140h.p ( I think that coincided with the 3306).

  9. #9Old Magnet2011-04-23 12:14

    Hi Rusted, More digging, dumped the Cat literature and went to my TRW HD parts book and you are correct. The 955K has the D330c (4-3/4 in bore) all along starting in late 1967. The turbo went back on the D333c from 10K5984-7952 D6C before the 3306 came in at 10K7953-up. Also the D330c in the 922B is correct. Glad to get this cleared up as I believe I have issued some bum info on previous 955K/L's......can't know it all.

  10. #10AllDodge2011-04-25 11:40

    Old Magnet you were right. I signed up for an account at Whayne Supply and entered the S/N, it came back as a 1972 955L.

  11. #11fredb2011-04-28 17:36

    Looking for used machine Would you happen to know something about the 977H huntin24/7 shows on his thread, or how to get a hold of him?