Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 555G Hydraulic question

RadicalRedNeck · 2011-04-20 17:47

I have a 2000 model John Deere 555G; I have notice when I raise the bucket it jumps as if a hydraulic cylinder is leaking internally. It is getting worse with time. I grease it every 8 hours, I have checked the hydraulic level, and the fluid was changed and new filters just before I bought it about 200 hours ago. I thought it was a pin that was galled but I have noticed it even when I dump jumping and jerking. What should I check???

Replies9
  1. #1AllDodge2011-04-20 19:24

    Sounds to me like an internal leak. How do the cylinder rods look when fully extended?

  2. #2maytag2011-04-20 20:17

    Erratic movement with a hydraulic cylinder usually indicates air in the system. Never seen a cylinder jump because it was bypassing. HTH, Tom

  3. #3RadicalRedNeck2011-04-21 10:16

    Alldodge, when the cylinders are all extended they are smooth, straight, and no leaks. Maytag, this jumping happens on raising and dumping but I don’t notice it at any other time like in a forward gear. Does this loader have a separate pump for the transmission and could the pump be leaking internally. BTW it is not only jumping put is lifting and dumping slower also!

  4. #4Greg2011-04-21 12:09

    hydraulic and transmission should be separate with separate systems.

  5. #5AllDodge2011-04-21 16:38

    I've just reciently gotten into the track loader so I'm still a little out of my swim lane, but, does your loader have a self leveling bucket? Just wondering if it does have a leveler and maybe it may be causing some issues.

  6. #6RadicalRedNeck2011-04-21 17:02

    Nope it is all up to me to get it level! I read somewhere a while back that this was caused by a pump leaking internal between chambers, but this was on another piece of equipment. I am not sure this loader's pump has chambers. dono

  7. #7maytag2011-04-21 17:24

    entrained air Not sure how your machine is set up as I deal mainly with heavy industrial hydraulic systems-the prime mover is different but the principles are the same. If you have access to look at the oil in your tank see if you have excessive air bubbles entrained in it. If your cylinders have test ports you can use these to bleed the cylinders with the proper equipment and see if you have air in them. Above all be careful and if in doubt about the safety enlist the help of a professional.

  8. #8RadicalRedNeck2011-04-21 17:27

    Thanks, I will try that this weekend if I have time and will post to let you know.Thanks again

  9. #9RadicalRedNeck2011-06-09 11:26

    Update: Sorry it took me so long to get back here! I have been very busy with my real job and it had rained for ever until a couple of weeks ago. I had to wait until the area dried enough to start excavating my lake/pond. But I did find my problem! I am sorry to say I have the disease a lot of middle age people get but don’t want to admit to it, CSS. This disease caused me to over think my problem with my loader and after all it was the simplest thing possible to repair it. After noticing it only did this jumping problem was when I was ramping up. This to me meant it was staving for hydraulic fluid, what could that be??? After parking on level ground and looking at the glass on the hydraulic tank I convinced myself for the second time my tank was full, so I decided to pull of the tank cap and use a clean stick to see if maybe it needed topping off. That is when I realized I have the dreaded disease CSS, (Can’t See S#!t) Yep it took 5 gallon of fluid to top it off. Sorry guys thanks for the response’s, one embarrassed Redneck that now takes reading glasses with him when he is anywhere.