Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

955L Winter Heat Enclosure

Metalman 55 · 2017-12-13 12:37

Since we use our 955L a lot during the winter months loading snow, we rigged up this little enclosure to assist with keeping the heat in the operators compartment. I was on it for about 3 hrs this morning & it works pretty good. Just some 16ga sheet for the enclosure with a piece of 3/8 or 1/2" pipe around the top to stiffen it up a bit. We located all of the existing holes above the battery box & on top of the fuel & hyd tanks & bolted it down there.

Replies7
  1. #1Bluox2017-12-14 00:21

    Pull the floor plate up, get all the heat you want. Bob

  2. #2Graham12017-12-14 04:22

    We have been complaining about the cold on open cab machines here in the UK. I guess we don’t know what real cold is though! Anyway lots of new machines are coming fitted with heated seats, so a quick look on eBay produced heated seat covers which plug in to the 12v cigarette lighter. I would be concerned using them in pouring rain, but apart from that it is nice and toasty. Maybe another easy option although looking at the pictures you will need to fit an auxiliary socket as well. Not bad thing as you can then run a fan in summer. Graham

  3. #3DMiller2017-12-14 06:25

    You still have lighter sockets? They have removed anything cigarette from machines here. They now call them accessory plugs and put a mall rubber butt plug on them!!

  4. #4Graham12017-12-14 13:27

    It’s an age thing. I still think of them as lighter sockets, but same here, they have taken the heater coil out and put a bung in and called them accessory sockets. But as I don’t smoke, but do use fans, charge my phone and now heat my seat I’m not worried what they call them. It was law at one point that you had to have no smoking signs in company vehicles and machines, but I’m not sure that is still the case. I certainly don’t bother.

  5. #5Metalman 552017-12-14 17:20

    Actually, if you look on this picture carefully you will see that we have a blue snow light & that plugs into a lighter socket! We heard that the local municipality was handing out fines for having equipment working alongside roads without a blue light so we installed a plug in socket & light. Now I can have a seat warmer too!! Talk about getting soft!

  6. #6DMiller2017-12-14 17:54

    You are getting SOOO Soft!! Next you will have a cab with heat and AC or even a stereo!!

  7. #7Graham12017-12-14 18:05

    That would be the ideal option. Amazes me how many American machines are open given your extremes of weather. Didn’t notice the light, but as you are most of the way there, get a power splitter and get a heated seat for the winter and a fan for the summer. Going soft,I know, but why not? Being out for any length of time in those sort of temperatures with an open cab can’t be fun. Graham