Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

941 Clearing Snow

Metalman 55 ยท 2017-12-12 18:30

First clearing of snow in the yard for the season with the old 941 Loader.

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2017-12-12 18:59

    I am a thinking you need a articulated rubber tired machine with a slick bucket loose materials lip!! With a Heater!!

  2. #2Georgia Iron2017-12-12 19:04

    I did not realize that Cats would crank in the cold weather much less move on snow!

  3. #3DMiller2017-12-12 19:15

    Metalman cheats!!

  4. #4kshansen2017-12-12 19:30

    well with working glow plugs on a pre-chamber engine in good condition temps down around or even a bit below freezing should not be a real problem. The old D6C we had at the quarry that had not been run in a couple months and you could walk right off the top of the snow drifts was able to start with out go juice. Now if you add a 120 volt block heater to the oil cooler water jacket the starting temps would be much lower. The biggest aid to cold starts I saw over the years was when it became the norm to run 15W-40 motor oil all year. Before that it was considered a sin to run anything less than straight 30 weight year round. In a way that was a good thing as you could almost never get something to start if it was so cold the engine would be staved for oil on start up!

  5. #5Metalman 552017-12-12 20:14

    Operating in the open air helps keep the operator alert & awake! Besides, isn't the Allis older than my 941? I think you should make the first move with machine replacement!

  6. #663 caveman2017-12-12 21:09

    Did you flip the fan blades?

  7. #7Metalman 552017-12-12 21:41

    Yes, the 941 has a reversible fan & the blades are turned for winter operation.

  8. #8DMiller2017-12-13 06:24

    Operating in the open air helps keep the operator alert & awake! Besides, isn't the Allis older than my 941? I think you should make the first move with machine replacement! I have toyed with that idea, a different newer easier to find parts machine, maybe by Next winter!!

  9. #9ol'stonebreaker2017-12-13 13:42

    Years ago I kept our rural place and some neighbors plowed out with an 8N Ford with a backblade. You make do with what you can afford which was all I could afford at the time. Mike

  10. #10DMiller2017-12-13 14:26

    I currently have a Allis 180 with a 9' drag blade and chains for the rears. No cab, no heat!