Cat 955L Serial # 85J4919. The throttle is not traveling appropriately, it will not get to higher RPM. It is not a linkage issue, took the throttle linkage off at the governor and it (throttle/governor) does not move while using a wrench to move it. The problem is not consistent, sometimes the throttle will open up and allow the machine to get higher RPM. I'm curious is there anything I can do to open up the governor and attempt to clean it or spray some sort of cleaner into it. There is a removeable plate on the back. Being a novice, I do not want to remove a plate/housing cover and springs go flying everywhere or mess up the timing. I am posting pictures. The casting number on the housing is 7S8825 -9-. The Fuel pump casting number is 7S8829. Does anyone have any information or manuals on the governor and/or the fuel pump for this machine? Thanks
There is plenty of information regarding disassembly of the governor but it is not something that someone inexperienced with fuel systems should be attempting IMHO. For a start the governor is removed complete along with the fuel injection pump and then separated once it has been removed from the engine. This involves setting the fuel timing correctly before removal of the FIP.
You might want to check your engine oil pressure chap as this pump has a low oil pressure peg that stops the fuel rack moving to from just above low idle, there is a blanking plug under the pump that you can take out to insert a pin to let the rack run free, it sounds like you need more oil pressure, your engine I would expect to be a D333C pre 1973.
Thank you Nige and TCTractors. I have an experienced diesel mechanic helping me. I dont know that we will jump off in a rebuild of the injector pump, but we will pull it and take it for a rebuild. I have two main questions. Is there a plate or some way to i.d. this particular pump? If so, where should I be looking for such identifying information? Is there any sharable information on getting the timing lined up to take the pump off? TC, you mentioned oil pressure. Do you have any more information on checking this? Thanks for the help guys.
Ask your Experienced Mechanic to do an oil pressure test with a PSI gauge (0 to 120 or 150 psi) the engine has a few places to fit your gauge to, 1 being on the bottom of the oil feed tube that bolts to the front of the cylinder block just above the sump, no oil pressure = no revs, do this first before anything, the pump could well be fine so check the oil detail first, also I see your throttle rod clevis and pin is total worn out you need to sort all the linkage to remove all wear.
Tctractors, thanks for the guidance. The oil (or lack their of) seems to have been the issue. I know better to assume that fluid levels are fine, but i made that assumption this time. My experienced mechanic (relative) obviously made the assumption i had checked fluids as well. Regardless, lessons were learned and the machine is running up to speed now. Thanks for the help.
Wow' that was a lucky guess on the oil thing.
D333c would be the 6 cylinder version of the 4 cylinder D330c which is what TC meant. Nick
Had a stick snap off the shaft that goes into fuel govener on my 3304 ordered the new shaft and seals any tricks to replacing the shaft I should be aware of??
This shaft is what broke off