Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

96 4900 tandem flatbed

Derag2 ยท 2015-03-25 16:12

I'm looking at buy a 96 international 4900 flat bed tandem. 17 rears and 12k front. It has the dt466 and Eaton 10 spd. Do I need to double clutch this truck or can I float? I read some papers in the truck it said to double clutch but I guess that's eating recommendation for all trans. Also what do you thing bout this truck? 22nd flat bed with hoists. Using it for hauling pallets mostly... any guesses on weight of the truck? It's double framed

Replies5
  1. #1mowingman2015-03-25 19:06

    Float it, forget the clutch.

  2. #2denver m farms2015-03-25 21:59

    Yep.

  3. #3redneckracin2015-03-26 13:13

    the 466 might be a bit light on the motor side of things for a tandem rig. It should last a long time just don't expecting to be drag racing stop lights.

  4. #4Derag22015-03-26 21:34

    So I bought the truck on auction.... turns out it's a spicer 10spd. I bought for 8k which I felt was a good deal... it could use more power for sure but seems to run good.

  5. #5Shimmy12015-03-26 23:44

    Those Spicer 10's shift very nice. Pray you never need a new shift knob. They are not at all the same as an Eaton. $250 when I had to buy one. As for clutching, I float, you can do whatever your heart desires.